Sunday 27 August 2017

Fuck me it's Immanuel Kant!

How can you not love Berlin? When the barmaid mixes cocktails like a dervish on speed then starts discussing German philosophy you know you're in a weird and wonderful town.Say Kant in an east London pub and you're likely to get a punch in the smacker..,

So yes I have fully ingratiated myself into my local bar in Charlottenburg.I have my seat at the bar and have even been invited to a barmaids leaving party tonight...
I can creep my way in almost anywhere...
All the tourists bits were done on a previous trip,I took a cursory walk round the Reichstag & Brandenburg Tor but once again I wanted to see more of the city than tourist hotspots...

Tempelhof is an old disused airport just on the edge of the city centre.Mainly used by the US military during the Cold War it was abandoned soon after David Hasselhoff single handily secured world peace and had his last hit single...There's nothing there now except the runways open to the public.No attempt has been made to jolly it up.No doubt in years to come places like Maccy D's & Starbucks will try to gain a foothold and turn it into every other abandoned US airbase in the world but hopefully not...leave it to the cyclists,joggers and picnickers...





Then I went to Wannsee.For those not Familer with Wannsee it is here that the holocaust was given clearance by all the heads of the different factions of the SS to go from summery executions to an industrial scale operation.There is a superb film called " Conspiracy " starring Kenneth Brannah ,amongst others.All of the dialogue of the meeting is taken from minutes taken by secrectaries at the time.I urge you to watch this.It is the scariest horror movie you will ever see...Oh and if any dickhead holocaust denier pops up tell them to watch it too...


Kreuzberg is a part of town you should visit.I suppose it's a bit like Hackney but a lot more so.Kreuzberg was the part of town overlooked by the Wall by the east Berlin border guards and so was allowed to be a place of debauchery in a " Let's see what you could have won" kind of way...the story has it that Bowie came here to clean up his ways,invited Iggy Pop to live with him for two years and.,,.well you can imagine what happened! ( he did also make the best music of his career too so draw your own conclusions)
If you like your rock and dirty then visit this place.


The no nonsense landlady of Wild at Heart...

At the moment I'm in a bar in Köpenick ( pronounced Coopernick,as I was told last night by locals trying to hide their smirks at my attempts to sprechen Deutsch) I'm off to Union Berlin versus Arminia Bielefeld in a few hours for some good old German Fußball fun...up the Irons!
 Tomorrow it's off to Prague.I'll be sad to leave Berlin but sure I'll be back again.Meanwhile I have a game & a leaving do. to go to...

Tschüss!

No comments: