Tuesday 29 August 2017

Prague.The chocolate box capital...

If that sounds a little dismissive it's not meant to.It is a beautiful city of which nobody can deny,however when you turn every corner and see yet another medieval tower you start to expect a stage Rapunzel,only without the issues,to be hanging her hair down for any drunk stag party to climb up.It's Disney but with an undercurrent...

Maybe I'm just being a bit churlish or maybe it's because I'm right in the middle of the tourist zone( oh the horror!) but I'm just not feeling it here.Don't get me wrong everyone has been fine with me.The hostel is like a top class hotel & all the bars I have visited have been as good as gold.So on reflection I think it's probably me struggling to adjust after nine days in Germany.I'm sure Prague will survive....

But man alive the tourists! Yes yes yes I know I'm one and that I also live in a town that's almost a cliche of tourist exploitation but it's more evident here.Possibly because it's centered around a small area where in London it's mostly spread out...mind you I baulked at being charged to visit the Jewish cemetery and copped out.A massive hypocritical act on my part as I'll pay to visit Dachau when I'm in Munich.But hey, nobody suggested I was perfect...I went to cross Charles Bridge yesterday but could'nt physically fight my way through them so went for a beer instead( and yes it is as good as everyone says) 

You know what I think, it's the language that's got me rattled,not Prague...I was getting on well with the German,we share a common tongue basically,But Czech is totally foreign to me,which is ironic as my dad was Czech.I really should have taken more notice of my heritage when younger...I'm feeling embarrassed by not having any of the lingo.

Good lord I'm having a right old moan are'nt i? Which I really shouldn't as I'm sitting in a beer garden sipping wonderful cold beer in 30c and I'm not due back in Blighty for another eleven days!

Ok things I'm loving about Prague!( only been here a day mind) Naturally the beer,yes it's as good and cheap as everyone says.The beer I'm having at the moment is 38k which in our terms is about,hold on let's work this out...Yep,nothing.

The tram system.All Central European cities should have this kind of tram system,Especially with some olde worlde trams thrown in,if only to satisfy my 1930's black & white fantasy of these places before it all went tits up...

The architecture.What can you say? Yes it's over the top Disneyesque but unlike the well known anti semite's magical kingdom at least this is real.Imagine if it had been blown to hell & back by either the Nazi's,British of Soviet's in WW11 or the Cold War? Travesty...

You know what Prague's ok,it's just me being a whiny old Brit....I'm gonna carry on drinking and tomorrow I'll plough through those damn tourists and get on that fucking bridge!


Nashledanou!


No comments: