Monday 2 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#63

Late again.If I had an agent he’d probably dump me…

Had a damn good sleep and ready to explore Odense.It looks quite a small place so I don’t think I will need to download a transport app to buy any tickets especially as I’m away tomorrow anyway.At least I have learned from the fella here how to say it properly.They don’t pronounce the “D” so it’s more like “ Oselense” fancy having letters in words you don’t pronounce! Phfft ridiculous…

On that subject,whenever I have been on any public transport I look at the monitor for the next stop and say it in my head then wait for the announcement to see how close I was.I reckon I have got maybe 25% correct in all the time I have been doing it…which doesn’t sound very good really but probably another 25% is close enough to be understood but the rest is a case of “ how the hell do they get that from that?” It’s like they’re speaking all foreign… 

I’m intrigued by the passport control in Scandinavia.When I came in to Denmark via Germany the train stopped and the border police came on and checked our passports & ID‘s and yes my mind did go to wartime POW escape movies,sorry,couldn’t help it…I was expecting the same. Leaving Denmark for Sweden but nothing.Ditto Norway.Yesterday our passports were checked at the gate but that wasn’t customs it was just an ID thing as they said a driving licence will do just as well…so I don’t really know what’s what.Be interesting if we’re checked going back into Germany tomorrow…

So back in Germany tomorrow.In Bremen,which I have been to before,I like it and can also pronounce it properly,I think…I am getting to the stage where I feel I am winding down on the trip and maybe running out of steam a bit but I still have Bremen,Rotterdam,Dusseldorf,Mainz,Cologne and Lille to go yet so still a fair bit to see…I have done well to be this enthused for so long to be honest.Maybe I am just having a bit of a natural break from it all in my head at the moment.Sorry I am rambling…

This is only a short Blog today I am afraid….Off out in a bit to have a little mooch….

2 comments:

That Rigby Bloke said...

Mornin multi linguistic mon 😁
It's interesting when travelling how our heads lose the holiday mode..all the years of being conditioned to the two weeks away and back to the reality of life mindset...I found retirement a bit like that,I still wake up sometimes in a bit of a 'Oh bloody hell I'm not looking forward to work', then rejoice in the fact I don't do that malarkey anymore
I can remember a definite similarly on Big Trip One ...
Leaning tower of Pisa..done that
Eiffel tower...yep
etc,etc
I had to stop the tick boxy way of taking it for granted...I started searching for the side street cafes,the sherry bars (do they still exist??),the little home cooking eateries, and people watching,the real way of seeing another culture and getting a feel for a place. The sightseeing was still interesting but I grew to like the other part probably more !!
Onwards Gareth and the constant from me....HAVE FUN mate...Nige

Anonymous said...

Yea I know just feeling a bit jaded at the moment.Nothing drastic or bad just a wee bit meh.. one things for sure Odense is not a touristy place!