Monday 9 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#70

Sitting in the hotel room with a coffee and the occasional smoke,I have a balcony I can smoke on,waiting to start my journey to Düsseldorf.It’s a three and half hour trip with two changes so not too bad.Luckily I can take my time today as the hotel is directly opposite the Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof and I have stayed there before so no need for Google Maps assistance today…I feel as though things are winding down…

Yesterday was basically spend the day in the pub watching sport day…not done an all day/night in the same pub on this trip before…

Early morning I went to have a look at the cube houses and the huge market hall and had a couple of nice coffees by the old harbour.All of this is situated by Blaak metro station.Unfortunately neither the houses or market was open,it being early Sunday morning an All that…both look impressive feats of engineering though…

Had a bit of a stroll,things were starting to open,unlike Germany Sunday here is a sort of normal day except things open a bit later.Found the Dutch version of Greggs called Barts and dare I say it their sausage rolls were the equal,if not better,than Greggs.They also heated them up on the spot rather than let them sit in a warming cupboard and they were all the better for it…

It was about 12-30 when I found the Irish pub.A real spit & sawdust place( there was actual sawdust on the bar floor.Surprised The Giffard hasn’t adopted the idea frankly) Rugby & cricket were on the multiple screens and there were a surprisingly lot of Japanese chaps in there watching it…Japanese is probably one of the least likely demographics you expect in an Irish bar in the Netherlands I would suggest…got chatty with a Welsh couple who lived there.Then they went.Had a few more beers and at 4-00pm they began showing all of the Prem games…there were a few Liverpool fans,A Brighton fan,one Villa fan and me oh and a couple of Rangers fans left over from their game earlier…I had a Wolves top on so there was no hiding but in truth most were watching Brighton v Liverpool…

Anyway all cool.Myself & the Villa fan had words but nothing too bad.A lot of the Liverpool fans buggered off after their game and it started to fill up with Arsenal fans but no Man City interestingly.Blah blah blah…

I had moved to the back of the bar when a couple of blokes began chatting to me.They were Serbian‘s who lived in Rotterdam and supported Feyenoord.The chat was cordial for a while then I mentioned how it must be pleasing for them to see Ajax doing so badly and I received a torrent of racist filth coming out of their mealy mouths ( Ajax have a big Jewish following) That was enough for me so I made my excuses and went to another part of the bar( it was one of those places that looks small but has a lot of rooms around the back) was gonna start writing this blog but then a fella came up to me and asked if I was ok and sat down…turns out he‘d heard the two Serbs and saw my face and came to genuinely see if I was fine.Nice bloke…he was from Aberdeen but lived in Perth Australia and was in Rotterdam working for a week.His name was Rory.We had a good old couple of hours…it cheered me up as I’d had a good day in the bar and didn’t want my last memory of it sullied by those racist pricks…

Left about 9-30 a wee bit drunk but happy drunk unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately) the bar was closed.I had forgotten the landlady told me they don’t open Sundays…so that was my day in the pub.Could have been better with a Wolves win but take the point & move on etc.Could have been a lot worse with the two racist pricks but luckily Rory saved the day with his weird hybrid Aberdeen/Aussie accent..,

Off to Düsseldorf soon and their Altbier…ciao 

No comments: