Tuesday 17 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#79

Since saying I might do a blog on tips of interrailing around Europe I have have been inundated with people stopping me in the street with tears in their eyes saying they need me more than ever in these uncertain times…sorry momentarily turned into Laurence “Lozza” Fox then…nah one person said it might be a good idea( hi Nige!) and if that’s not a mandate from the masses I don’t know what is…

This isn’t gonna be a what to do/what not to do thing.You’re all grown adults I presume…just a few tips on how I have got the best out of my Interrail ticket( not sponsored either unfortunately) I have done it a couple of times now with both a paper ticket & a phone app and even as someone not entirely comfortable with modern technology the phone app wins hands down.I think Interrail will probably make the paper one obsolete soon anyway.It’s the way of the world…

So if you’ve never done it before and fancy a go the first thing is get a battery bank.Mine was about £25 and it’s a bit of a bulky item but I got it about seven years ago( still works great) but I would think like video recorders when they first came out they were as big as the Ark Royal but over the years slimmed down to After Eight size so that’s how Battery Banks are going…anyway you can’t alway rely on train power points so have your own on the go…

Go to the Interrail website and they have a myriad of tickets to suit your needs.It’s easy to negotiate and to also download the app & ticket…it also helps that you can purchase the ticket up to eleven months before travelling.That Xmas bonus will be better spent on that than silly old presents nobody really wants…

If you’re travelling from the UK it can be used for Eurostar both out & in but you will have to reserve seats at £32 each way( it’s Eurostars way of grabbing some money back) again there’s a facility on the Interrail site to do this.Strangely Eurostar insist on paperwork so you’ll have to print it off your email(god they’re so behind the times!) You won’t get on without it…oh and keep the email on your phone cos’ you might do something stupid like putting your return reservation through the wash at a toasty 40c…not that anyone is that idiotic…

Once you’re in Europe proper you can start using the app properly.It’s valid in ( I think) 33 countries so pretty wide ranging.The app gives you every possible train you might want to take so for instance if you fancy going from Paris to Bilbao on Sunday May 18th just put that It and it give all the trains that day,all the changes,how long it takes and even if you need seat reservations ( if it says you do in red then you do.I got fined for ignoring it.In blue it’s just recommended.Blue is normally cheaper) it will also say if the change between trains is short or not,usually ten minutes or less.That gives you the option of maybe switching to a later train at the change over.Something I have done several times…I would rather hang around for another hour,relax,have a drink & smoke rather than dash around like Speedie Gonzalez on whizz getting all hot,bothered & irate…

That is one thing the phone ticket has over the paper one.You can change it mid journey.With the paper ticket you write in your details and you’re locked in and if you change it they can refuse travel.I have actually changed my phone ticket on the train I am travelling on.It’s a great thing to be able to do…I have not had one problem when it came to ticket inspection after well over 30 journeys…

That’s really the nuts and bolts of it as far as the ticket goes.I’d recommend it to anyone if they’re so like minded…it’s liberating.

As for the other things.well…even if you mostly transact via bank card always carry some local cash( usually Euros) If like me you budgeted at the lower priced hotels then book early if you can( I got some great deals) they’re basic but all have been fine and most en suite.Don’t expect a laundry service but there’s usually a laundry near by and they’re easy to suss out…

I always try to get to a new destination in the daylight as mainline stations are usually a magnate for the less desirable elements,although in saying that I have no trouble in nearly three months…but it’s better to be safe.I always download the local transport app of wherever I am and buy a 24 hour ticket each day,usually between 6-9 euros.Had my ticket checked on several occasions so it’s not worth it trying to dodge.. 

Also I tend to use the tram mostly in cities.For one thing I’m never sure what the protocol is on buses and you see more of the city from the tram “ oh look they have a Woolies” 

If the app says you need reservations for your next trip then go to the mainline station ticket office.Usually it’s a 15 minute wait and it takes no time.I had to get one today for my trip to Lille tomorrow.It was €9 and I was in and out in 20 minutes…

Finally if you like stats the app will give you the lowdown on all the data including a little map of your trip…even down to how long spent on trains.I’m over three days now…

So yea go for it,..This trip has been the best thing I’ve ever done and would I do it again? In a heartbeat..,

Hope this has been helpful…Caio.

Ps I forgot to ad…three apps I have found invaluable are Google Maps(obviously) Google Translate( not always accurate but close enough.Once had an entire conversation with a Czech bloke via it) and Citymapper which gives you the lowdown on all the transport available in each city including all the stops on each tram & bus route.All been a great help and if none of that works don’t be too proud to ask someone..,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mornin Mr Fox 😁
Brilliant Gareth….a far cry from my Magic Bus travel tips !!
I read that in a Judith Chalmers-esque way but in a Black Country accent …if Michael Portillo can relaunch his career following his Tory spouting days you have a career in waiting with a much better ‘Train journeys around Europe’ guide…I’ll be your camera mon and we’ll become rich n famous πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ and then we’ll do ‘Football grounds in South America by train,plane,tram and pogo stick’…It’s a winner mate !!
Take care owd pal #fun

Anonymous said...

Ok but no way am I wearing pink chinos!

Anonymous said...

If the Beeb agree to a rider of £200 each a day (food n drinks), a signing on fee of £25k,a bonus at the end and a follow up series of ‘Around the World’ I’ll wear a pink mankini πŸ˜‚…except it won’t be pink it’ll be classed as a Wolvo sand shade πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚