Monday 2 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#64

Why Odense? In all honesty it was always intended as no more than a one full day stop over between Gothenburg & Bremen as there was no way I could have hacked that journey in one day and that was before the added complications that came about.So it’s no more than a makeweight.But that’s not to say it’s not worthy of respect…

Luckily my hotel is only one stop from the station on the tram and really in walking distance as I chose to do today just to see for tomorrow as I already winged the tram on my arrival yesterday owing to not being able to get any Danish currency or use my card until today,all my own fault.Will be happy to get back to Euros tomorrow as I do have some floating about…I don’t want to wing it again.I don’t like doing it but at the time needs must an‘ all that…

Odense is smack bang in the middle of Denmark and is pronounced Olense ( or something) a fact that was painstakingly explained to me by two Danish women I was talking to in England who were laughing their tits off at my attempts at pronouncing it!

I didn’t go out last night,I was pooped after the trek,it was wet,it was cold,the hotel was toasty warm with an endless supply of free coffee.Whatyougonnado? 

So this morning I ventured out to have a butchers.My first impression was “ hmm bit of a hole” but it was still early,it was still raining and yes it is also bloody October too! So first impressions can be misleading….the more I looked the more appealing the place got.I started to notice more and more bars.A sure sign the place had something going for it…there are also lots of little passages snaking off the main drag with more bars and Indy cafes.Also more & more people were appearing which helps too…

It’s clearly not a touristy place but there is a uni and a few other cultured things going on too.They even have a film festival as well…

There’s a curious mixture of old and new buildings.The older ones look like they’ve been around for a good time.Lots of painted wooden timber frames and uneven doors & windows.A sure sign of authenticity as it was a case of “ yea that’ll do” for normal dwellings.But it’s not marketed in the same way as,say,Freiburg was to cater for the tourist.It’s just a mosh mash of old & new…In truth it seems an ok place and maybe worth a longer visit if only to take in some of the bars,sorry I mean cultural events…

Right I’m going to publish this now as it’s the only way I know to not lose the damn thing.Will no doubt add to it later…

Like Copenhagen and indeed Oslo & Gothenburg,all the people I have spoken to have been good natured & friendly.Is it the same all over Scandinavia? I have no idea but the little I have seen has left a favourable mark on me.To be honest the same could be said of everywhere I have been.I have been met with nothing but seemingly good natured people…even in places that have a rep for being unfriendly to Brits,like France for instance,I have received Nothing but good vibes.Maybe you get back what you put in and those that have been met with unfriendliness have been arseholes in the first place.Of course I’ll let others judge that…

Good morning all…in my usual spot of waiting for a train.Bit of rain around this morning.Getting that Primark waterproof jacket in Stuttgart has served me well these last few weeks.Don’t really know why I thought I would get away with not having one in Northern Europe in October! I think stupidity might be the answer…ah well off to Bremen.

See you all later…

No comments: