Friday 6 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#68

You know when people say they have found their spirit animal or whatever well I have found my spirit hotel…got off the bus in Schiedam,about five mile out from Rotterdam,looking for my hotel called The Windmill Cafe Hotel.There in front of me were two windmills.One with the sails working.I thought “ nah that can’t be it” and sure enough I was correct,it wasn’t but right next to them was a bar called The Windmill Cafe Hotel so I popped in and sure enough it’s an old fashioned bar but also the hotel reception! Looks like I have found my spirit hotel…already running up a tab too…

Had an odd last night in Bremen.The bar was pretty empty but a woman of about mid 30’s plonked herself down at the table next to mine and proceeded to dig out files,covered the table with them and was writing furiously whilst drinking & smoking equally furiously.Then the spread sheets came out.Occasionally she’d ask me to keep an eye on her stuff whilst she went to the toilet( she knew I was English as she heard Len,the barman, talking to me earlier) This went on for a good two hours and once she packed her stuff up I couldn’t help but applaud her efforts.At first I thought she was maybe a teacher marking students stuff but it turned out her boss was a complete and utter arsehole who landed this stuff on her last minute to be ready for the next day and she lived miles away so thought “ fuck it,do it in the bar” anyway I let her vent and boy did she vent! Didn’t even exchange names but I feel I helped and she’s probably handed in her resignation already…I very nearly got a fellow traveler when I told her I was off to Rotterdam next morning!

Trip was ok if a little long winded.Had to change trains three times as well as a bus replacement too.All was good though despite it taking the best part of six hours to get here.Got off the bus from Leer to Groningen and within a minute nearly got totalled by a young lad riding one of those heavy duty Dutch bikes.Totally my fault and of course I apologised and he was your typically laid back Dutchman accepted my apology in perfect English with a “ don’t worry it’s cool” cocky little bastard…

Many times I have mentioned how German mainline stations are also glorified shopping malls well Dutch stations couldn’t be more different.They’re very basic in design ( even though the four I have seen today,Groningen,Zwolle,Rotterdam and Schiedam have been well turned out) there are one or two food outlets and that’s it.Another surprise was they all have barriers,even before you get to the concourse too…

I have got so used to just strolling in and out of stations all over Europe it came as a bit of a shock.At Zwolle I had a long wait for my train and wanted a smoke,not allowed on the platform naturally,Asked a guard if my Interrail app let me out and,crucially,back in to the station and luckily it does.Phew that was a relief.For some reason I just didn’t expect Dutch stations to be so strict…another lesson learned.  

This is a real local’s bar.More so than the one in Bremen.This place is cool though.Been made very welcome by the landlady and not been attacked yet so it’s looking promising so far…It’s also a Feyenoord pub so if things do get tricky I’ll just drop John de Wolf’s name in the mix.Always keep an ace up your sleeve…

That’s it for the time being but could be back in action later…ciao for now…

It’s 6-45 and the ladies of a certain age are already dancing in the bar…and it really is some god awful Dutch Vic Reeves nightclub singer stuff too! Hahaha
It’s a weird thing.I have been here a few hours.It’s pretty full and nobody has engaged with me apart from a few quizzical looks and yet I feel very comfortable here…one last thing before I go to bed.Four bottles of beer cost me €11…goodnight all.

No comments: