Tuesday 10 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#71

Today could be laundry day,I don’t know yet as I haven’t decided.I‘ll knock this out first and see how I feel.They actually have facilities here but it would mean waiting for the reception to open and I could have done it by then so we will see…

The trip yesterday was ok,Even though it took over four hours I’d say a good chunk of that was hanging around at stations.The main one was at a place called Venlo which I had never heard of before and it’s a fairly big place too.It appears to be a major change over stop on the Dutch border with Germany.There were lots of bored looking local teenagers hanging around the station.Do teenagers ever look anything but bored? 

I did make a slight cock up at what I thought was my stop.I was drifting in and out of sleep and heard the announcement of “ naschte station Düsseldorf “ so bounced off the train but hadn’t heard final bit of it which was “Blick” a station before the Hauptbahnhof.Like getting off at Sandwell thinking it’s Wolverhampton.Ah well…I actually knew before we pulled in but as I had moved various people with my bags pride then prevented me from staying on once I realised my mistake…

Anyway no matter.The hotel is so close to the Hauptbahnhof the extra twenty minutes messing about didn’t make a difference…did my bit at reception.I am on the same floor as the receptionist desk.It’s a weird setup,and it feels very much like I am next to the teachers room on a school trip…

Had a stroll around the Alt Stadt.I am always amazed at how busy Düsseldorf  Alt Stadt is.Ok I get that during the holiday season it’s going to be busy but this was a monday afternoon in early October ( yes the weather was nice) and many of the cafe bars were pretty full.Not heaving but still a respectable amount of trade coming in…I keep seeing right wing comments on social media saying Europe is dying on its arse and my experience over the length of the continent these last ten weeks says the complete opposite…if full high streets,shops & bars are any indication (and I think they are) then Europe is alive and kicking and doing pretty well…if my hometown,Wolverhampton,was half as busy as everywhere I have been It would be in a much healthier state than it is now…

Popped out for a smoke earlier and noticed a Stolperstein outside the door.I didn’t see it last time I was here so presume it’s been added since(I can’t imagine the sort of research that has to go into this venture.It’s not a government thing) This is the first time I have stayed somewhere where there’s direct evidence of a family being dragged out of their home and taken to a camp…sobering thought.

Not sure what to do today.Once I have bought a day transport ticket I will have a look at the map.Maybe go over the other side of the river for a change.Oddly all the times I have been here I have never had a look over that side of the river…it more of an East/West thing here rather than the classic London North/South divide…

Decision made,the washing can wait until tomorrow or Thursday…

Only a short one today I’m afraid…Caio.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bollox…just wrote you a funny reply (well it was funny as I typed it 😁) referring to 1977,The Adverts..Bored Teenagers then it disappeared when I pressed ‘post’…you get the gist I expect
#fun…Nige