Sunday 15 October 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#76

When I get into a new city it’s usually early afternoon as most hotels don’t check in till then so I try to tailor my train journey accordingly.There are variations of course but that’s my aim.If I know the place then I quickly get myself sorted and head out,if not I either stay local or pop into town depending how close I am…in Mainz I popped into town as I’m only two tram stops away from the Hauptbahnhof.It was a Friday but seemed pretty quiet…

Then yesterday I was out early to explore the town.I have to admit I was beginning to think I’d picked a dud.It was so empty and I couldn’t find anything that resembled a centre of the city( my Google Maps was down as was much of the Wi-Fi in patches) Ah well them’s the breaks…then I stumbled upon everyone.If you have seen The Walking Dead there’s a scene early on where the main protagonist turns a corner of a seemingly abandoned city only to be met by thousands.This was like that but only a few tried to eat me so that’s where the similarities end…

It was market day and they have it outside their striking cathedral.It was rammed and also there were lots of bars dotted about plus a temporary wine bar set up too which was doing a roaring trade…I had found life! Naturally I started to feel much happier about my choice of venue…had a drink,bought some fruit,had another drink,bought some more fruit.The usual Saturday afternoon really…luckily the weather is still warm & sunny down this way…also managed to get a Mainz lighter which I didn’t think I’d get.If you don’t know I am trying to buy a lighter from every city I stay in or visit.As yet I am only missing Oslo(got a Norway one instead) and Odense,which didn’t surprise me having an Odense lighter would be like having a Wolverhampton one and our town suffers enough arson without encouraging more…I even went to the Mainz FC club shop but they don’t do lighters any more.Smoking is a German religion,more so than religion is too…

Talking of Mainz FC I went out to their ground on the tram to take some pics but I couldn’t even be arsed getting off.It’s out in a field somewhere out of town and looks like A.N.Other ground built in the last twenty years.Just an IKEA type identikit square box.The only thing that changes is the colours…

“Ah you speak a little English? Good” not,as you might expect, myself talking to the barmaid but the barmaid talking to me! Cheeky little minx…she was fun and fair play she took the piss a few more times too.These sort of interactions make the day really…

On my way to grab some food I saw a few people gathered around a small hexagonal stall in the street and being nosey went to see and it was one woman selling wine.Not seen anything like this before.There was red or white of the same make.No messing around.I had one of each and it was good.There seems to be a kind of wine Octoberfest on around town as I have also seen a fair few Lederhosen & Dirndl’s knocking about too…

Off to Wiesbaden later.It on the other side of the river but I think my Mainz transport ticket gets me there even though it’s in another state.Mainz is in Rhineland-Palatinate and Wiesbaden is in Hessen.I assume they have an agreement as I’d think many commute between the two cities…

Anyway peeps that’s my lot.See you all later…

Tschüss.

No comments: