Thursday 23 August 2018

(Backup) Am i in Leipzig Or Logan‘s Run...

Sometimes I feel a lot younger than my years.I see other blokes my age and can‘t see it...I can’t see we have that arbitrary thing in common.Then sometimes I come to a place like Leipzig and think „“Jesus you’re an auld fucker“ It’s nothing Leipzig‘s done to me at all it’s just that everyone seems so young.So...Logan‘s Run with Jenny Agutter and that posh bloke who’s name escapes me cos‘,well, you know,Jenny Agutter...Mannheim,whilst being perfectly nice & all that,is Cocoon by comparison...maybe all the East German youngsters are gravitating to here rather than Berlin cos‘ of expenses and what Berlin is seen to have become by many locals...or maybe,and this might be a bit of a killer for many in the west of the country,the east will eventually take over due to it having a much younger population... 

Walking round Leipzig today and it began to look a lot like many other German cities and I was starting to feel a bit cheated( cos‘ it’s all about me) then I slipped down an arcade,then another etc. All these sexy hidden arcades with great shops & hidden bars...who doesn’t love an arcade? Even when packed you feel as though it’s there just for you.One of them opened into a street full of bars.It‘s my favourite...

Don’t think this place is cheap.It‘s not.Ok compared to London prices it is but that’s an unfair comparison to make.Certainly in town the beer/ food prices are on a par with Bristol say and this place has that kind of aura about it...I know I found a place flogging bottles of Bud( that’s Budvar,not the well marketed swill called Budweiser) for 1-50 Euro but that‘s out in Leutzsch where i‘m staying...i hope Leipzig never makes it onto the tiresome Brit Stag & Hen Party schedule.The place is too good for that and being between Berlin & Prague would probably be It’s saving grace in that respect... besides Berlin has the pull & Prague the cheap beer that may save that unedifying fate... 

I was gonna say something smartarsey about the architecture being typical Austro-Hungarian but actually did some research(yay Google Chrome) and the Habsburg empire never got this far.However there are some beautiful neo Georgian buildings around.They might even be Georgian.All those fuckers were related anyway...A few of the areas on the outskirts have a faded beauty about them and sadly some of those wonderful buildings have been left to crumble...Gonna get a one day travel ticket tomorrow and have a good old mooch around these places...

There does seem to be a small smattering of tourists around but like Bremen & Mannheim before these appear to be mostly fellow Germans.English is rarely spoken here so hopefully that’s another thing that keeps it off the Stag & Hen Party circuit...

It’s probably a big fault of mine but if I see anyone over 55 my first instinct is „“I wonder if they were Stasi?“. Shameful I know but I can’t help it! I’m sure none of them were.They all look so lovely *cough* If any locals read this maybe check all the ages of the local Neighbour Hood Watch.That might be a clue...

This is probably my last blog from Leipzig(Christ this is my third from here!) I‘m off to Berlin in a few days...I‘ll be surprised if I can find anywhere to watch Wolves thrash Man City on Saturday although there’s a sports bar next to the RB Leipzig ground but not hopeful( of seeing the game.Obviously we‘ll give City a football lesson)

Bis bald peeps...

No comments: