Friday 17 August 2018

Goodbye Bremen hello Mannheim...

It’s tough leaving a place you’ve just found your way around but that’s the nature of the beast...I liked Bremen a lot and will no doubt visit again.If you’ve never been try out Das Viertel area east of the City.A Little bit sleazy & a little bit arty farty...or if you like your fairy tales Disney rather than Grimm(Original Grimm that is,and they were) then visit Schnoor.It looks lovely but I couldn’t help think what the reality of living there was a few hundred years ago though....anyhoo don’t go between noon &4pm cos‘s it‘s rammed...

As I was leaving there was a row between a couple of guests and the landlady.I have no idea what it was about but they seemed to patch it up as she went into the kitchen but I presume she had a German equivalent of „“ nah fuck this“ and came flying out of the kitchen and kicked them out!  I even heard a „“raus“ in there which was very satisfying...I liked it there but i‘m not German who,god bless em‘, can be picky buggers.I enjoyed my early morning smokes with the chambermaid in the garden.Niether of us spoke each other’s language so we communicated via gentle coughing...

The train from Bremen is about five and half hours. We had an engine failure ( yep even in Germany) which made it six hours.Luckily they handed out free water cos’it was sweltering hot.I made a balls up at Bremen station though. The platform indicator said there was a 2nd class carriage right at the end of the train so being a smart arse I thought I’d steal a march on the other plebs by steaming down there to get on...it was the bike shed.No problem I’ll just work my way through the train...nope cos the bike shed was full of bloody bikes and the remaining seats were full of their bloody owners travelling from Hamburg to Cologne...damn.As it happens there was one seat in the bike shed so it was fine.I found it highly amusing that at every stop one of them came to see I hadn’t buggered off with a bike.They took it in turns much as the old Leeds team shared out bookings...if you ever travel by train down towards Stuttgart from Cologne get a left hand window seat cos’ from Koblenz onwards the train line hugs the Rhine river and it’s stunning... you also go past thousands of acres of vineyards too.

Got myself sorted in Mannheim pretty quick. I’m actually staying in Ludwigshafen, which is the city across the river.It’s probably more of a suburb but I wouldn’t dare tell a local that.I even saw a road rage incident whilst sitting outside a bar...to be honest it was’nt much but the word “scheisser” was used so that counts doesn’t it? It’s the first time I have seen anything like it in Germany.Particulary involving a van & a cyclist.In London That would just be a friendly greeting.Anyway Nobody lost face so no problem... 

Tomorrow I need to find a place showing English football.Spotted an Irish bar by Mannheim hbf so That’s probably my best bet...Also saw a tram that goes to Heidelberg and have that’s worth a visit...

Till then auf Wiedersehen munchkins...

Ps Sorry about the seemingly random use of capital letters.I have switched my phone keyboard to Deutsch mode for any sexy umlaut usage I need and they put capital letters all over the place.

No comments: