Wednesday 22 August 2018

(Backup) Leipzig;First thoughts...

If you come to Leipzig by train don‘t look at the multiple chain shops on the Hauptbahnhof concourse,all German mainline stations have basically the same things,no,look up at the building surrounding the fast food & cigs you like merchants.It‘s simply stunning.A cathedral to when train travel was still in it‘s infancy & probably seen as a luxury rather than a solid foundation of a country’s infrastructure...if you want to make a statement to new visitors Leipzig then you’re going the right way...

Another way is to have friendly locals...I knew which tram to catch so after a quick smoke went to the ticket machine on the platform and picked my ticket but the machine would‘nt take my note.A local woman tried to help but no go,then with a laugh she said „“Englisher go to a bar for change.You all drink“ which is pretty rich coming from a bloody German! But I defied the stereotype and got some water and she was still there when we met again she said „“Water? What kind of Englisher are you?“  l liked her,she made me laugh...The machine wouldn’t take my change either so was obviously busted but not after she’d roped in three other people to help this useless tourist.All happy to do so I must add...

Got my tram and even got off at the correct stop.Which is unusual fo me.Did‘nt have a scooby where the street was though and asked a couple...i‘m getting less self conscious of asking locals for things in German now...they didn’t know but shouted over to another couple across the street who pointed me in the right direction.Christ i‘d only been in the town less than an hour and eight people had gone out of their way to help me...i don’t care how much of a cynical bastard you are that’s gonna make you look favourably on a place...the hotel‘s fine.Think i pissed off the chambermaid as I solicited a few tuts off her but i‘ll win her over with my natural wit,charm or money...

I‘m staying in an area called Diakonissenhaus(yea that’s fucking easy for you to say) which is a bit run down but I have found an Aldi,laundrette( have to visit that soon) and, after fifteen minutes walking,one bar..,However bottles of Budvar are one Euro fifty so well worth the search.Think I have found my local cos‘ 1-50 a Budvar,There’s nowhere else round here and did I mention 1-50 a Budvar?

I like Leipzig already and I have seen nothing of it yet...

No comments: