Monday 25 September 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#57

Palava: I think the English Oxford dictionary describes it as lots of unnecessary fucking around and today has been palava filled for me…

Make yourselves comfortable boys & girls this could be a long one…

Things started slightly awkwardly as I decided I wasn’t walking to Copenhagen station at 6am and as I‘d downloaded the local transport app thought I’d get a bus ticket.My bank kept rejecting it.Tried it a few times then realised I’d put the wrong expiry date in.Not only that but once I sussed it I did it again! 

Got the bus ok in the end and to the correct destination,in the dark too…my Interrail  app was still showing I needed seat reservations despite being told I didn’t so thought I’d check.Another woman said why not get the train leaving in ten minutes to avoid any questions being asked( the reservations were on the Swedish side so she wasn’t 100%  sure how things worked) which is why I went to Helsingborg instead of my original destination.That was fine,and she helped a lot…there however were the two dreaded words of every British traveler.Bus replacement…Ersättningsbuss in Danish,which I’m sure you knew…

Got to Helsingborg and found the bus station.There was a half hour wait and I think I pissed the woman off as we’re going to a place called “ Bästad” which of course I pronounced “Bastard” and she kept correcting me to no avail.Got to Bästad and it really is a bastard of a town judging by the station.Basically two bus stops with rail tracks in between.I suggest they put a recording of Sean Bean on a loop saying “Bastard” in his flat Northern vowels every couple of minutes,maybe have a guest appearance every Christmas…anyhoo I thanked the woman & coach driver.Am I the only one that does this on bus replacements? Been on three now and not seen anyone else thank the staff…

I was getting hungry but could’nt see a bastard shop at Bastard Bästad station so thought I’d wait till we get to Gothenburg where I had a two hour wait anyway.Plenty of time.Then it dawned on me I had no Swedish money.When doing my going abroad card thingy with my online banking I’d failed to take into account these nine hours I’d be here.Trouble is if you try to change the dates to include today‘s date it won’t allow it…luckily I always have some cash,found a beuro de change and luckily the guy changed €10 for me…

First shop I tried they didn’t take cash second shop I tried they did but their register had busted.The third shop did. and I just had enough for two ham & cheese bagels which were such a disappointment I ended up giving half to the couple of crows that had befriended me outside…

So hung around,got my train to Oslo( very nice & comfy) there was hardly anyone on it to my surprise and it only began to fill up as we got close to Oslo…spent much of the journey looking out the window trying to find a Beuro de change in Oslo station online but they seemed to only have ticket machines and I couldn’t use my card because for some reason all the countries I have chosen on the app to use my card in the dates start the day after I get there.Clearly I have done something wrong somewhere and when using Euro it’s not a problem as I always have some cash Euros…Denmark,Sweden & Norway don’t…

Got into Oslo about twelves hours after starting out,managed to get change for some Euros.No time to barter either,or shop around,it was pissing down,I was tired etc so got a taxi to the hotel. It’s a trek but I was happy to be here then realised a school sports party had just turned up and guess who was stuck behind them in the queue at reception? I found myself getting more & more pissed off with a few “oh for fuck’s sake” under my breath but then took a step back and thought “Jesus calm down,they’re only kids excited about being here.Stop being a dick” so I stopped being a dick, went outside for a smoke and got myself sorted out…I think it’s some sporting academy as the place I’m in is close to a sports centre…

Anyway the room’s nice,en suite and I have booked in For breakfast too.The rooms are Chalet type things in line so our front is facing the opposite bedrooms.Just outside my door is a table with three chairs where I can have a coffee & smoke but I have to sit with my back to the opposite chalets as that’s where the kids are based and good god almighty can you imagine if I’m seen facing them having a smoke playing with my phone? Think I’ll be kicked into the harbour! 

So that was my day travelling through Denmark,Sweden & Norway.On reflection it wasn’t too bad it’s just that the whole money thing threw me off guard.At least I know what to do when I  return to Sweden & Denmark in a few days.My card kicks in tomorrow in Norway so I can get cracking with sorting stuff out.Until then laters…Bastards.


2 comments:

That Rigby Bloke said...

Mornin owd bastardmon 😁
Sounds like a bit of a ball ache but I think you employed the best tactic in step back,few deep breaths then carry on...having a smoke is becoming a military style operation everywhere nowadays but I somehow feel a sense of relief when I don't feel 'guilty' about it (why so many folk do the tut-tut routine makes me smile inwardly now...along with the 'fuck you' mentality I've expertly acquired) ,
Hope the money malarkey works out mate !!
Onwards as we say Gareth,always onwards and upwards...
Having fun is an order 😁 ...take care ...Nige

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.Yea sometimes it’s best being honest with ourselves and realise “ yea I’m the one being a twat here” makes life a lot easier…the money is no problem just had to work my way around getting access to it.I know what to do now…still loving it.