Tuesday 26 September 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#58

“ Nursing a pint” strange expression isn’t it? Well I’m in a normal Oslo bar and a pint of local lager in here is £9-55…so i am not only nursing it,I’m Florence Nightingaling the life out of the fucker…I don’t know why the prices are so high here,I assume the wages compensate as most of the locals appear comfortably well off.Suppose it has two factors in it’s favour.1) When Norwegians travel abroad they feel like millionaires and 2) it deters the dreaded stag parties that blight cheaper European cities from visiting & imparting their own inimitable brand of international cordiality on these poor unfortunate places…

Been for a decent look around Oslo today.Seems an ok,clean & cool city,as you’d probably expect from a Scandi county.There are a good smattering of tourists about.Many would be intrigued by the whole Scandi thing,as I am,partly because it seems a bit isolated,which always adds a certain mystery,and allure,Especially Norway,Sweden and Finland and of course we’ve seen the photos of those magnificent fjords with the sheer rock faces that appear to come from the depths of the ocean to kiss the sky…

Those are mostly on the extreme west facing the North Sea and no doubt many of the tourists are heading out there too…Oslo doesn’t have that sort of dramatic scenery but I think it does ok on that front.I may find out tomorrow  on a local boat trip as long as I don’t have another pint and price myself out of the market… 

I did find a nice little local coffee shop where I got a good double Americano for under three quid so it’s not all madness,and yea after breakfast tomorrow I’m making a date to go there again.I must temper my keenness to get out exploring though.I forget that many European cities hardly open any of their shops till gone 10am and if you’re dossing around at 9am you think it’s a ghost town…the coffee shop only took card payment( this after I’d been to the ATM too) fair enough.The place I had lunch by the harbour took both but the girl said they don’t have any coins so any cash payment is card or paper cash only( the smallest cash note is a 50) I had to box clever so I wasn’t too much out of pocket and she still got a tip…it’s a minefield!

The place I’m staying in is linked with Skeid football club( I think) as their ground is just next door.It’s up on a hill in what looks quite a prosperous area.Think Tettenhall or Compton in Wolverhampton.Luckily there’s a tram stop at the bottom of the hill,the terminus,so if I get pissed( some hope) and crash out I will eventually wake up at one of the last stops…anyway that school sports party might be the club trying to find new talent to fill out championship midfields with industrious,no nonsense players and hopefully one freak who will end up scoring a hundred goals a season for Man City…

Believe or not I have run out of things to say at the moment.It does happen occasionally you know.No doubt pseseses to follow after publishing…

Ps So I’m still here three pints in.Thought I was just gonna have one.It’s a good pint I will say that.It’s called Frydenlund.Sod it I’m on holiday,or am I? Once you’ve retired are you on holiday or just arsing around somewhere other than where you normally do? I don’t know…

Pps Ah the football,or more specifically Wolves…it seems I have done the opposite of the fella in “Airplane “ saying he’s picked the wrong time to give up sniffing glue,looks like I have picked exactly the right time to be away from it all for 3 months…not expecting any magical upturn in our fortunes when I get back though…

No comments: