Thursday 28 September 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#59

We have all seen those desperately dark Scandi murder series where all the protagonists are almost always ragged,weather beaten individuals,it’s always so cold that when they speak steam emerges from their mouths like speech bubbles and one jumper is made of an entire sheep’s wool…you won’t be surprised to hear I have not witnessed any of that whilst here…

Like the Scots we assume all Scandi’s to be dour folk who’s countenance is always downbeat and their conversation is solem.All i have heard both here in Norway and Denmark is chatty locals laughing & joking around.Granted things might be very different in the depths of winter and also I have yet to stray out of the confines of Gothenburg station whilst in Sweden and they could be very different beasts all together…I get the feeling the Swedes are seen very much like the English are in the UK by the rest of Scandinavia…

Never got on the boat ride.In the morning it was lashing down and visibility was very poor so I gave it a miss then after pottering about a bit I had a long lunch in an Italian restaurant down by the harbour which took a lot longer than usual owing to the great food,beer and a very chatty Polish waitress.The place was practically empty so we had time to have a good natter…when I eventually left the boat trip had just left too with the next one being two hours away…ah well the pub it is then…

The pub was pretty packed which I couldn’t understand for 4pm on a Wednesday but there was a game on telly.It was a cup game, KJE v Molde…KJE are based just next to where I am staying ( not Skeid football club where I am now)  and are a division 2 team whereas Molde are a fairly big outfit in Norwegian football…I suppose it was played that early as the floodlights maybe aren’t up to scratch.The English cup equivalent would probably be something like Barnet v Newcastle…anyway good game,Molde won 1-0…the KJE ground looks like it holds about 2k and as you’d imagine was packed to the rafters…all good fun and I hope the club made some money out of it…

I have noticed a lot less smoking in Scandinavia than elsewhere I have been.The locals in general seem a very healthy outdoors lot.Must be all the hills…a very sporty lot these Nordic types.

After a shower & breakfast I’m off to Gothenburg in Sweden.Have already been there of course but only to the station for two hours which wasn’t great but I’m sure there’s better things to see…still got a few hours left on my Oslo ticket to get to the station in time too…

So I would definitely recommend Oslo for a few days but save up first cos’ as I have said ad nauseam it’s bloody expensive! So be prepared for that.At least I didn’t question every transaction outwardly but the inner dialogue was like “ bloody hell that’s ££££’s in English money” Probably not a good idea to blame those serving you for the excessive prices…

Anyway that’s me,gotta jump in the shower and get ready for the nearly four hour journey to Gothenburg,which is not too bad.I don’t have to change and the trains are good …laters peeps.

Ps I am now getting more used to paying by card.I still prefer cash to be honest and I do find it odd paying by card for a coffee although in saying that I was more than happy for the card facility at the Copenhagen toilets!

Pps Think the kids are leaving the same time as me as they’re all in the breakfast area.The staff have that relived look on their faces and the kids are very subdued,no doubt not being used to 7am…which is something they will have to get used to for all of their adult life.It kinda sucks…haha

No comments: