Thursday 28 September 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#60

Trip from Oslo to Gothenburg was fine,absolutely pissing down when I left but a measly 300 km further down south and it’s lovely and sunny…

Train was almost empty and I was sat alone in a small compartment.Had to check with the guard if I was in first class by mistake but he was laughing at me so I figured I was ok,We came to my favourite place name,Ed( yep the town is called Ed) just after the Swedish border with Norway and a little old lady sat opposite me.There were loads of empty seats but she chose that one so what can you do ? We exchanged the glance,you know the one,it says I have acknowledged your existence and your right to sit anywhere but don’t expect a conversation…

About ten minutes later she suddenly said “Do you like the view?” In English .Of course I had to respond with “ yes,how did you know I was English” she said it was her go to language when talking to a stranger for the first time…anyway we ended up having a great convo for the next two hours..She was a retired history & English Literature teacher( I didn’t mention this blog) and she was off to a huge book fair in Goteborg ( yes she taught me how to say it properly) Anyway we covered a wide range of topics and seemed to be of a like mind on most of them…ended up a good trip…

Second impression of Gothenburg is very favourable.My first was hanging around the station for no good reason a few days ago…got some cash from the Beuro de Change and sorted out a tram ticket easily finding the digs.Turns out I’m close to the docks in what looks a lively and historic part of town.As I have mentioned before I like ports so this is ideal…

Only been here a few hours and already had bits of interaction with four people and all of them have been positive so I’m looking forward to the next three days…found a bar of course and it seems ok.There are plenty about to choose from.This one even has beermats which seems a bit of a rarity in Scandinavia as it does in the UK for some reason…anyway a pint of Weißbier was £7 so still expensive but a bit more London than Oslo…

That’s all for the moment but no doubt will be back later.Cheers…

Back again.Liking Gothenburg so far.Seems laid out a bit weirdly but I’ll get a better idea tomorrow morning when I go exploring…the part I’m in is right next to the trendy area apparently but obviously trying to muscle in on that vibe.Seems ok…I keep forgetting it’s not summer and it’s now dark at 7-30pm.Only got 20 days left and still have 7 places to visit on my itinerary…I think,losing track now…

Ps Was just outside the hotel having a smoke and a woman opposite opened her curtains and did a little jig for ten seconds.Fully clothed I might add.Does this mean we’re engaged?

Pps You know that weird thing when you keep bumping into the same people over a short time who you’ve never met before? Especially on holiday…arrived with a young couple,they’re in the room next door and we have seen each other four times since.Not Seen some of my neighbours that many times in 20 years… we are giving each other the “ what’s going on?” Look…

No comments: