Friday 29 September 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#61

Just bumped into the couple I keep bumping into and we actually spoke.They’re from Stockholm just for a break and we all agreed it was a bit nuts the way we keep meeting…

It’s absolutely hammering it down.Stair rods I think the term is,there’s no wind so this is hanging around for a while.Sorry mom you were wrong about mizzle rain getting you wetter.This is the sort of rain that penetrates your skin and then five minutes later penetrates your very soul…luckily there was a pub ,with my bus stop directly next to it…

Gothenburg is much bigger than I imagined,ok I didn’t think it was some quaint fishing village in Cornwall but I was still surprised by how vast it is after mooching around today.It also has some magnificent buildings and a great tram system too…one of the trams has the destination “Angered” but it doesn’t go via Wolverhampton station more’s the pity( don’t worry if you don’t understand,Wolves fans will.) There’s also an area not far from me called Haga which freaked me out a little.It’s the old part of town which has lots of wooden buildings and it looks good in a cliched Swedish way.One street is all fancy shops and restaurants.You know the type of thing,antiques,deli’s,expensive clothing ( I was tempted to buy an authentic Nordic sweater but it was very very very costly) anyway all good but that’s only one street about 200 metres long.There are about another dozen criss crossing of the same length All completely empty and i found that a bit unsettling…

None of that matters anyway cos‘ it turns out I have been breaking the law since I have been here.It bugged me why none of the outside areas of cafes & bars had ash trays.I was still lighting up and then finding a drain or rubbish bin to put my dog ends.Only found out today it’s against the law to smoke in these areas and has been since 2019..Yikes!

Change of plan for my trip to Odense in Denmark on Sunday.For some reason the trains are a complete mess ( think lots of engineering works then triple that) and it would have taken the best part of 24 hours to get there from Gothenburg.I was searching for alternatives online then sitting outside a bar at lunchtime ( pre pissing down) a van went past from Stenna and a lightbulb switched on in my brain so I am now booked on an early ferry to Fredrikshvn in northern Denmark and I can get the train to Odense from there.Still gonna take nine hours in total but it‘s better than the alternative.Ferry was pretty cheap too.About £18 for just under four hours…happy with that.

On that note I’ll leave you be for the time being..,

One job to do today is to get down to the ferry dock and suss it out.I always like to get a good idea of the station I’m going from.Jusr the Lay-out etc.It sounds nuts but at these big European stations can be confusing and it’s not even that clear where the platforms are at times especially if you’re running late & a bit frazzled…

The other thing is find an Irish bar( there’s loads) that’s got the football on.I know it’s Man City,I know they have that freak show up front and I know in all probability we‘ll get done by six or seven but I don’t 100% know and that’s the beauty of it….

Tomorrow‘s Blog might be written from a ferry in the Baltic Sea so will be later than usual as no doubt I’ll be celebrating a shock win tonight and smoking well away from the pub too…

Laters me hearties..,

No comments: