Saturday 13 July 2024

60 Days in Europe…#43 Hamburg…

Currently sitting in the courtyard of what might well be my favourite building Hamburg’s Chilehaus.A huge brick built edifice dating from the mid 1920’s and thus far superior to anything the Nazis erected (stick that in your pipe hole Albert Speer) If you’re ever in Hamburg have a butchers…apparently it’s part of the “Brick Expressionism” movement which is a thing I didn’t know existed until about a minute ago.Well my expert opinion is that there’s certainly a lot of bricks and it’s very expressive…

Located the local laundry so that’s my first job in the morning then off to meet the belle of Molineux Alley Rikky somewhere.No plans yet but sure we’ll sort something out later on…

Went for a coffee this morning by where i’m staying and blow me sideways it’s card payment only! Anyone that knows Germany is well aware how cash dependent the country is so this was a big surprise.Luckily I now carry my card with me as a matter of course as I’ve been caught out a few times back in the UK but it still a shock especially in somewhere like St Pauli too…

When I said earlier the Chilehaus is possibly my favourite building that may be true until I meet up with Rikky and we’re going to see if we can get to the top of the Feldstrasse Bunker next to St Pauli Stadion and if that’s the case there’s no doubt it will succeed the Chilehaus and I will owe Albert Speer an apology ( doubt if he designed it,probably another nazi) However it would be pretty cool.It’s an awesome looking building from the outside as it is…

As a hook in to yesterday‘s blog there‘s also something they do in Germany,well in the big cities anyway,is shops that we would class as off licences often have benches & tables outside and you can buy your bevvy,open it & drink it like You’re outside a bar.Again very civilised and probably a Turkish thing.Think Hackney may have one or two similar shops but there’s also a sizeable Turkish community there too…

Happy to say my favourite bar in Hamburg is still open,the St Pauli Eck.A scummy dive bar just down from Reeperbahn.It’s dirty,smoky,dark,very basic and I love it…full of real people who once they know you’re not under cover plod accept you with open arms…great to also see the same landlady too.

So tomorrow is now today and I’m sitting in the laundromat.Luckily it’s a huge one because just before i came in a local sports coach started washing sports gear and took about ten machines.In most other places I have been to that would have been the lot…

Strange how something is sometimes close by but you don’t notice it until to take a different path… I am actually talking literally here and not going into any deep mind bending metaphorical sphere…the Feldstrasse Bunker which myself & Rikky are hoping to visit later turns out to be just up the road from the hotel but I had never noticed as i only walked a certain way and it was obscured by trees in the park.It’s a hard building to miss too! 

Also strange how(or why) I have kept hold of one sock despite knowing I lost it’s partner in Innsbruck many weeks ago.Am I hoping by some miracle it will find a way to reunite? Like some heroic Disney dog?  

On that note…

In a while crocodile…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the Chilehaus isn't a Tex-Mex restaurant then?!?

Anonymous said...

Or a South American one??