Thursday 25 July 2024

60 Days in Europe…#55 Leipzig…

Nearly 8am and I’m in the laundromat.The thing is I am sure I have used this one before on one of my previous shorter trips around Germany & Czechia.I would say it was maybe 2017 when I was staying around the corner and as soon as I saw this place it all clicked in…so now I am doing repeat journeys to laundromats! Rinse & repeat! 

That’s all done until London in a weeks time hopefully.Mind you if I do need an emergency wash I know one in Düsseldorf that I’ve used a couple of times also,at least I do remember using that one unlike today…the one thing I do recall about that stay is upsetting the chambermaid when I arrived and she scowled at me all week despite my efforts to be cheery and pleasant with her.She really resented me for being ten minutes early checking in! Hahaha

Even though the part of the city I’m staying at is fine I’m just taking a look around the Connewitz area to the south and it looks far more interesting & lively( for one thing wider pavements ergo more street activity.It’s definitely a thing) think I have only really scratched the surface of this city and when I come back might stay in this area.I think it’s also the arty part too so that always lends itself to a bit more of a hedonistic vibe…

I got it wrong about the transport app for Leipzig.It‘s called Leipziger and you can buy tickets on it.Good to know for the future…

Just had a look on the map and it’s mad to think I’m only just over a hundred miles from where mom & dad lived in Karlovy Vary in West Bohemia Czechia just after WW2.However it’s over a five hour train journey to get there from here.Infact Karlovy Vary seems to be a very long train journey from everywhere for some reason.Last time I was in Czechia a local told me the place was now run by Russian oligarchs which is sad if true…

I know it’s out of football season but I have not seen one RB Leipzig shirt being worn.Seen a few others,even a few PSG(?) for those not in the know RB are the most hated team in Germany and indeed around the world as their owners ( Red Bull) have run roughshod over every rule imaginable and somehow got away with it…not only with Leipzig but with about five or six clubs worldwide,they have just got a foothold in Britain with Leeds…as a team Leipzig have been consistently up near the top of the Bundesliga for years and attract 50,000 + crowds so it seems strange not to see even kids wearing their shirts…maybe they just give away loads of freebies to give the impression of being well supported…

Currently close to 4pm on Wednesday.Sitting outside an Irish bar as it’s off the main drag and not rammed( getting my excuses in) Even though the weather is a bit rainy the city is still pretty full midweek with shoppers or punters just having lunch etc.Remember this is not a main tourist hub but a city in the old GDR supposedly beset by economic problems yet still manages to be full to bursting on a Wednesday afternoon with grey clouds hanging around and yet we still hear in our media how Europe is failing,I have been dragging my sorry arse around this “ failing “ Europe for five month out of the last twelve,close to 40 different cities in 13 different countries and all I have seen is prosperity and people enjoying their life…anyway after this pint I’m off for Currywurst mit Pommes und eines Bier.So there…the Currywurst might be on hold as the heavens have opened so there’s a strong possibility I’ll be eating here…

Settled for fish & chips here.It was fine as you’d expect but I have noticed that tarte sauce in continental Europe is always saltier than ours…maybe it’s the use of different mayonnaise…anyway one thing I have noticed about Germans too is their almost pathological refusal to use umbrellas.It’s been grey & overcast all day and I’d think 80% of Brits would have taken a brolly with them.Today when it was raining on and off maybe an eighth of the people passing had one.Many wearing hats of course but that’s not the point…

I seem to have banged on a lot more than usual today ( making up for no show earlier in the week) one thing I have noticed about German bars/ cafes is they routinely put out a bowl of water on the pavement for any passing dog to quench a thirst.They don’t have to be patrons of the establishment and as dogs are notoriously carefree about the economy that’s probably a good thing,but it’s just a nice thing to do.On that happy note…

In a while crocodile…

No comments: