Monday 29 July 2024

60 Days in Europe…#59 Düsseldorf…

Sunday noon and I have just had an outstanding Irish fry up in an Irish bar.The big difference between this and the Berlin one I had a few weeks ago is the Irish understand that green healthy stuff does not belong anywhere near a fry up…real Daddy‘s brown sauce too.It was the dog‘s bollocks…

Last night in the Alt Stadt was hectic as you can imagine.If you’ve not been there’s probably 80 to 100 bars in a very small area and it gets rammed at weekends.It’s a sight to behold with very little trouble that I can see…deep respect for German bar staff who work like Trojans at times like this.I go to a small rock pub called Aubeerge.These are what in Berlin & Hamburg would be smokers bars but Düsseldorf publicans took a vote to ban it.Anyway no matter.I‘m used to that in UK…it’s basically a smaller version of The Giffard in Wolverhampton with the same sort of clientele.Most people sit & stand outside with one or two inside until the rains come and then inside becomes packed with those not able to fit under the canopy.Man alive it’s non stop for the staff,usually three of them.One washing glasses(all by hand.No machines) one continuously pouring and one constantly serving every punter which was maybe 60/70 last night.That’s hard bloody work! It’s a good place and if you go have the local Alt Bier (Frankenheim in this bar) usually comes in small glasses so the more macho may not like it but if you put the “He Man” vibe to one side you may like it…

One thing I learned was that German pubs don’t clean their own pipes.Every week a firm comes in to do it.This might explain in a small way why their beer is constantly good.You rarely,if ever, get a bad drink,you might get a drink you don’t like but that’s a different thing…

Anyway I know I’m nearly at the end of the trip as my ( legal prescription ) drugs have nearly run out…have had a notification from the chemist that my new supply is in last week and I replied that I won’t be able to pick them up until Aug 1st but have no idea if they got the message.They might think I haven’t picked them up because I’m dead! 

Still having leisurely drinks in the Altstadt but changed location a few times.Currently in Bob‘s Punkrock bar.which sounds cool and is fine but obviously has as much to do with punk as UB40 has to do with Roots Reggae…they’re not even playing any music although I did hear the whistle from Rammstein’s “ Engel” but think that was from another bar…But y‘know an old rebel has to make a living…not sure what I’m doing later but it’s probably gonna be more of the same.The sun‘s shining and there’s plenty of people about…unfortunately the rock bar is not open until Wednesday so last night was my last night but I’m not exactly short of options…

Talking of options now is the time I’m beginning to think about upcoming trips next year.My thinking is erring towards breaking it up and doing a month at a time in one country.So a month in France say,take a break back in the UK for a bit then a month in Germany etc…not sure how that would work logistically but it’s worth a go and would certainly cut down on luggage & laundry visits…a German one would be interesting as they are continuing with the monthly €49 rail ticket,which is now available to tourists too apparently.However the big restriction is no fast inter city trains but I could do short regional hops between cities.We will see…will have to work around the football season too.Definitely one to ponder…

Just had a life size Minnie Mouse creep up behind me and scare the bejesus out of me! There was this sudden high pitched squel in my ear and my reaction was predictably “What the fuck?” Which made everyone turn round and Minnie give out another squel…the staff got rid of her but I must admit I was laughing like a drain saying it was fine…mind you I didn’t give any money as you just don’t know how much goes to that well known charitable organisation Disney…

In a while crocodile…

No comments: