Tuesday 30 July 2024

60 Days in Europe…#60 Düsseldorf…

Yes day number 60 but not the last day as I always seem to get these things wrong…how wrong could become apparent tomorrow going back to the UK…we will see…

Lots of Rammstein fans around,turns out they’re playing five nights in Gelsenkirchen ( home of Schalke FC) apparently it’s one of the poorest areas of Germany that has a great stadium but not much else going for it…hopefully having a big name band there for an extended stay will help the local economy a bit…

As it’s monday afternoon obviously the local strip is quieter and that means the dancing drunks are more visible especially as most bars are still pumping out either high energy Europop or yer bog standard 80‘s spandex middle of the road rock anthems…blisteringly hot weather,warm beer & mental fragility can be a heady mix.They seem harmless enough but insist on flashing as much potato coloured skin as possible whilst dancing worse than yer pissed up uncle at a family wedding…

Even though Aubeerge‘s is closed I keep bumping into the English barman Gary,both yesterday and again today when he came in the bar I’m in.Not sure who’s stalking who here…

Been very lucky with the wasps this year.Usually I’m plagued by the little bleeders but hardly had a sniff.Maybe it’s because I’m here earlier than usual and they haven’t got into full angry little buggers mode yet…obviously had hassle with mosquitoes early on but they tend to sneak up on you whilst sleeping whereas wasps are literally in your face constantly…note to self get anti histamine tablets from chemist next time.Still got plenty of cream left and also the anti mosquitoes spray too(which also cuts down the threat of West Nile Virus,a comfort I’m sure you’ll agree)

Currently in the most French looking bar I have ever been in despite it being in Germany of course.The landlady either is French of has a very heavy French thing going.I have been very British and volunteered to come inside as it’s rammed outside with at least 25 people taking up space( it is small) and I gave up mine like the heroic little Brit that I am.Also even at 8pm the outside heat is getting to me…anyway just complimented the owner who said as soon as she saw it 17 years ago she said that’s going to be hers…now now no jokes about Germans taking over French things please! Infact I’m not even sure she is German,got a French lilt to her English accent but that could just be an affectation…anyway it’s now my second favourite bar in Düsseldorf and if the lady keeps up her French/German/English hybrid accent it could rapidly become my favourite…

In a while alligators…




No comments: