Tuesday 13 August 2019

28 days later...a month in Germany.Day 18

At first glance After getting off the train Dresden looks a confusing mishmash of tram lines & duel carriage ways surrounding a beautiful Hauptbahnhof.A lot of these German mainline stations do have a very similar look but Dresden appears to have a bit more than many...a classic of its genre.

Managed to find the hotel ok.It is pretty close to hbf and also to the Alt Markt area too which appears to have lots of cafe bars...the hotel’s quite modern and it’s fine.You know what it’s like after a few minutes and the receptionist is going through the schtick but you stopped listening a while ago? Well yea that...had to ask him three times which floor I was on cos‘ I wasn’t really paying as much attention as I should have been.His face was a study of contained hatred for me at that moment...
 
Talking of which...my favourite topic it seems is German supermarkets and today my favourite one had no tellers on so had to use an automated checkout.I feel intimidated by them in Britain so imagine how I feel about them in German! Standing there like a bit of a prick a market worker came over to help out.I say help out,more grab the stuff out of my hand,do all the scanning then point and said „“pay!“

They’re a curious breed German store workers.Beligerance and benevolence in the same package...once i‘d payed I thanked her for her help „“Bitteschön meine Liebe „“  she said and got all smiles with me...As I have said before i‘m quite happy to not have to put up with being served by grinning Ken & Barbies.If they’re having a bad day then it’s only reasonable to show it.I don’t want  to be their mate I just want to buy this thing and piss off...the customer isn’t always right and chances are if you’re being a prick in a shop then you’re a prick out of it.Me? I try to be a pleasant fucker all the time...

I did that thing in the hotel beer garden last night.My friends ,and indeed anyone who’s slept in the same room,will know this...I fell asleep.No big deal,I was shattered and we‘ve all done it, but I tend to make industrial strength noises when sleeping and woke up with a jolt to see the other three people in there just staring at me incredulously...See this is why I don’t hostel.Yea it’s a lot cheaper and you can meet some great people but I can’t handle the rows,the recriminations,the tears...  

Think I have sussed out the tram system.Well the part I want anyway.So gonna see a bit more of Dresden...had a look round.Reminds me very much of Prague in some ways especially in the old architecture not just with the big palaces & churches but also down some of the side streets too.Not surprising really as the two cities are relatively close...they both seem to share a fondness for big wooden doors too.They do look nice to be honest...Fountains seems to be a thing aswell.Never seen so many in such a small area.

Dresden doesn’t seem as vibrant as Leipzig was last year.The pace of life seems slower...Mind you it’s monday and nobody‘s at their best on a monday...but y‘know it’s all good.Had a strange chat with a local down by the river.Thought he was gonna tap me up for a smoke but think he just wanted a chat to someone.His English wasn’t good but he was telling me about the Elbe river.I got about a quarter of what he was saying but as I was leaving he said „“okey dokey“ !  Have to admit I burst out laughing...
Oh and there’s no pix n mix in their Woolworths.Very disappointing.
I take it back about it being a bit slow paced.I have now found the main shopping/drinking mall...oh and I have just witnessed an AfD rally.More of which tomorrow.,.

Seeet dreams Volks...

No comments: