Tuesday 11 June 2024

60 Days in Europe…#11 Innsbruck…

Currently sitting on the train to Munich which is half hour late and that means I miss my connection to Kufstein in Austria and have to wait another hour there before finally getting the train to Innsbruck.So an eight hour trip will probably turn into a ten hour one…even though my hotel is in the city centre and I have downloaded the local transport app I won’t be in the mood to arse around so it looks like more taxi rides…

To be honest until fairly recently I would have been raging about such things but travelling around like this has taught me not to sweat the the stuff out of my control and things will work out one way or another.It’s annoyingly zen of me…

It actually worked out ok as the previous train which was also late was going to Munich too and of course loads of people got on that train leaving this train( the one I had booked) relatively empty so much easier to get a seat.Trouble is I am on the wrong side of the train to soak up the cracking views of the Rhine Gorge.Ah well after a while I’d be itching for graffiti strewn tower blocks anyway…mind you once into the Tyrol it’s gonna be Mountains,Edelweiss,cows with big bells and precocious singing brats being chased by Nazis…

Fella sat next to me earlier ( luckily got off at Stuttgart,he was a leaner)and he was a chatty one.Kaiserslautern/ Liverpool fan.Wanted to know where to get cheap hotel in London,I really have no idea but not sure he believed me.Did make me laugh when he said he was a darts fan and I looked and sounded like Phil Taylor!

So darts/football man got off and fella in the seat over the way had a kefuffle and came to sit by me.Turned out to be a maths professor who’d spilt his water on his papers.We had a good chat about Italy mostly.He was German but with Czech ancestry…he buggered off at Munich and now I’m on a packed little train waiting to go to Kufstein in Austria…missed my connecting by half hour but at one point thought I’d make it as there was scoreboard on the train counting down like Eurovision in reverse.At one point we‘d made up 25 minutes and I was on schedule but within an hour we lost 35 minutes and never got it back…this train has every seat taken plus lots standing.I sneaked a seat…still got another train to catch after this one…

Here at last! Ended up being a ten hour trip but hey ho I knew what I signed up for and anyway the last hour of the trip justified it.Absolutely spectacular! Hotel is busy,hadn’t paid,thought I had but sometimes they just hold the details Incase you wig out & they charge you.Not even been to my room yet,having a much needed beer.Not bad and only €4-30 a pint…so here now,asked lots of impertinent questions at check in and then I figured out I have booked a day short! Leave here on the 13th but not due to check into the hotel in Vicenza until 14th.Big oooops…got some negotiations to do.Girl patiently explained I can’t do anything until 13th…could be interesting.Goodnight all…

Laters alligators…

No comments: