Sunday 30 June 2024

60 Days in Europe…#30 Genoa—Paris

So things started off interesting today and very nearly became both interesting and complicated…first off had coffee in the station.It’s a bustling place at the top of a hill( this is Genoa,everything is at the top of a hill) There’s a long road down to the port side filled with hotels etc and loads of tourists.Halfway down it’s all blocked off by police with tape,ambulances,the works.Think they found a body this morning( just seen it was a suspicious device found in a church )so all of us are being directed down the mini alleyways that are even more forbidding than the main ones.These having far few commercial ventures and consequently are much dirtier & sleazy than the main drag that attracts tourists.Nobody ever ventures this way! I grabbed a seat midway and watched the look of bemused horror on the faces of luggage wielding tourists wondering what the hell they’d let themselves in for.All good fun…

Then later I decided to communicate with the landlord of the place I’m staying in to say thanks and let him know my leaving plans for tomorrow…the trouble is we are communicating via Google translate on our phones having not seen each other since I got here.Now Google translate is fine but probably not 100% and I suddenly started getting messages ending with lots of !!!??? and I knew something was up.After a few frantic to & fros it turned out he thought I was leaving today not tomorrow and wanted to know why he couldn’t find the keys etc in the end he realised the cock up,was very apologetic and called me a wonderful guest & a gentleman.Not a good judge of character clearly…have to admit I was getting worried though! Serves me right for laughing at the poor scared looking buggers earlier…

When I went into a slight morality lecture yesterday it was particularly inspired by sitting in the station cafe outside area that morning.I use it everyday and it’s where the police,military (there’s always a few around) and train staff hang out and it serves good cheap coffee too…it was pretty full and a loud American family were tearing into what a shithole and how boring Genoa was.Now have that opinion if you want even though you’re wrong & stupid but understand that even though English is not wildly spoken many police,military & train staff understand it perfectly and will take umbrage at their city being loudly condemned in their presence by oafish tourists.I noticed they were getting a good few side eye glances from many there.I was very tempted to chime in but bit my lip but it stayed with me all day…

Early train tomorrow.By early I’m talking 5-20am.I know right! Partly the reason I chose to stay right by the station was to accommodate this trip.I did the same last year but only as far as Lyon,this time it’s three hours longer at about 11 hours.Yikes! The early train will be chock full of workers going to the docks then it’s about a three hour trip along the Mediterranean coast (arguably better than the Cinque Terre route) to Ventimiglia,where luckily I know there’s a good cafe over from the station.Hope it’s still open,then along the coast to Nice,a place I had a bad time in last year but hopefully things are better this time around.finally a five hour train to Paris…I could have gone another route via Turin & Zurich but it’s the same length and they wanted reservations for each leg which would have come to about €70 and I think we can all agree that can fuck off.I’ll take my chances with a fine on the Nice to Paris leg…

However I am in a quandary.Italy play Switzerland in a few hours and I feel it’s now my patriotic duty to watch the game down by the docks.No worries,even with extra time,penalties & the stupidity of VAR the game should be over by 8pm but, but, oh man there’s another game on later and I know me.The temptation to stay will be pulling at me even though I have that thing tomorrow.We will see.I might be disciplined…

Well for once I was disciplined! Now in the cafe bar at the bottom of the hill( which is back open) which seems to have two waitresses that work about 18 hours a day.Anyway game was rubbish from an Italian point of view but the Swiss were great.Surprised that none of the watching punters seemed too bothered about the display & result.There was a weary acceptance of it all…

Finish this drink then off to bed I hope.Will find out if I have a bed to sleep in when I get up the hill…

Laters alligators…


No comments: