Tuesday 4 June 2024

60 Days in Europe…#4 Wuppertal

I think I’m getting a cold,which is a bit of a bugger.It should be against the law to fall ill when you’re on holiday or travelling or whatever the hell this is…

Something was bugging me about Wuppertal that I couldn’t put my finger on for a couple of days then I realised I hadn’t been angrily admonished for idling in the bike lane.Not because I am more aware of my surroundings but because there aren’t any,or any cyclists.At least not many.This is most unusual,every other German city I have been to has been wall to wall cyclists but not here.No idea why…

Had a mooch around yesterday riding the Schwebebahn and checking out various stops.Stopped at Vowinkle naturally but there’s not a lot there…it’s the end of the line and decided to go the whole stretch of The Schwebebahn to the other end where the most exciting thing that happened was the waitress forgot about me and I was left sitting there for half hour waiting for my Americano…was gonna storm off all indignant like but thought about what an empty gesture that would be as she couldn’t even remember I was there in the first place.Anyway she remembered my existence eventually and was very apologetic & sweet.No harm done…I also dropped off at the local football club,one stop up from my stop,it’s a nice little ground and I managed to grab some pics.Apparently it’s being used by the Slovenia squad for Euro training…

Think I’ll go to Dortmund today.It’s about fifty minutes on the train and apart from the football club I know little about the place.As it’s in the Ruhr Valley I’m guessing it’s a very industrial working class city like most of them are around this area…I thought I would use my DB( Deutsche Bahn) App but the trouble is I haven’t used it for about five years so obviously I’ve forgotten my password and DB seems to have forgotten my email address so we’re in the classic Mexican standoff.How will it ever resolve itself? Well I deleted the app.No point keeping it…then I tried Trainline,again not used it for years,it worked but it’s cheapest tickets were too expensive.Next I tried Omio,which I have never used and their cheapest tickets were dearer than Trainline…

Finally managed to download an app that looked promising,did all the stuff and was just about to purchase when I noticed there was no QR code,the only option was print at home.MUTHAFLIPPER…looks like might be going old school by buying a ticket off a bored teller scratching his arse for fun…

Not sure if were going to get any sun at all,not had any yet this trip.It’s been as grey as a Battleship Grey painted cruiser…

Laters alligators…


No comments: