Thursday 31 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days #32

Nice easy trip,couple of hours upstairs on a double decker luxurious train straight through to Nuremberg from Stuttgart.Lovely…stopped at a couple of places I’d never heard of but were quite sizeable towns/cities and I wondered why they’d never appeared on my radar…it’s football innit? 

This might be a proof of my ignorance or the importance of football to a community( probably a bit of both) but most places I know of are initially because they have a relatively well known football club or have  left an indelible mark on history.My current location,Nuremberg being a case in point.Yes they have a fairly well know football heritage but it’s undoubtedly true it’s fame ,or infamy,lies elsewhere…

Found the hotel easily again (kind of)and bonus points are It’s 20 seconds from the U-Bahn and about a five minute walk from the historical 
Walled alt Stadt.so all is hunky & dory in that respect…got an email from the hotel two days ago with the entrance code and code for the key to the room so it could be another where I don’t see anyone as I’m pre paid…however couldn’t find the hotel initially.The address was a bar( promising)walked in,one very bored & pissed off barmaid dismissively pointed me to the car park at the back.She might have been offering me out for a fight for all I knew…

Most of my hotels have been en suite which is rare in the price range I dabble in but welcome nonetheless.The ghost hotel in Stuttgart wasn’t but it didn’t matter as disembodied spirits rarely need the showers or bogs.This one could be more challenging.I’m on the top floor naturally.There’s a WC one floor down,no problem and the showers are in the basement! Someone might get and early morning eyeful of my Yayas’ as I clamber up the stairs wrapped in a towel…

Returned to the bar for a drink and a determination to raise a smile from the barmaid.Pleased to say I got both then found an Apotheke.Got some very expensive antihistamine cream.Hopefully it will do the trick as my legs & ankles are a bit shot.Made one application so far and already things feel slightly better so here’s hoping…

Apothekes are a bit like our chemists but they’ve cut out the cosmetic sideline that we have.Things are purely medicinal…the woman was very helpful anyway…

It’s good to be back in Nuremberg again.Will have a decent look around tomorrow and probably visit the castle at the top of the hill.There’s a defensive wall that circles the alt Stadt and it’s worth coming just to see that as you can walk around it and also the moat.But obviously there’s much more than that about the place.History,both ancient and modern…

See you all tomorrow…

2 comments:

That Rigby Bloke said...

Morning Mozziemon....Yet again,great read our kid...only stopped in Nuremberg for a few hours but stayed in Augsburg on the way to Munich. Really enjoyed my time in Germany though,although it was still West Germany when I was travelling, would def 'do' the whole area again !!
Don't drop ya towel 😁😁
Take care Nige

Anonymous said...

Yea Germany is great.Been over here loads of times.Well worth doing a trip over.In saying that all Austria,France & Italy have all been great too…