Tuesday 15 August 2023

Bilious Blog..Around Europe in 80 days#16

So anyway as I was saying…was gonna find a pub with Sky Sports to watch the Wolves game but I tried four and they were all shut,by which time it was close to kick off time ( 9pm over here) and I’d given it up as a bad job.I was pooped anyway after travelling all day so headed back the hotel…

Walked past a tiny bar with one fella sitting outside who turned out to be the owner and he was about to shut…three hours later I left.The chap’s  name was Lorenzo and his bar was a tiny room with three tables outside.He sold two beers on tap,some bottles out of the fridge and the occasional coffee.We discussed every possible topic inc Tourism,skinhead culture,music,wine,religion & politics…turns out he was in an Italian Ska band,the name of which escapes me and had played in Britain occasionally over the years….

Ended up being a good night, not that it was bad before…but why were the other bars closed? Ferragosto that’s why.What’s Ferragosto you ask? Well I was clued up about it a few weeks ago by an ex work colleague( hi Luisa) an Anglo -Italian who knows of such things….it’s a bank holiday basically but steeped in a religious background.It’s all about the Virgin Mary ascending to heaven or summat(Feast of the Assumption) They take this stuff very seriously here…But it’s a bank holiday and like most bank holidays everything is shut except cafe bars obviously and, this being Italy,clothes & shoe shops…but why close bars the day before? Hell if a bank holiday falls on a Tuesday you’d take the Monday off too.Only reasonable…apparently there’s usually fireworks etc at night too…

Yap yap yap…yea that’s the sound of the Trieste streets.Many people have little yappy dogs,some carry them like noisy hairy little accessories.Some have them on a lead just long enough to yap loudly at other yappy little dogs but not get close enough to bite…it’s not annoying at all.Honest…

Think tomorrow (or today depending on when I post) will have to include some sort of laundry visit.I don’t think the hotel has a service but I’ll ask( I bet they’d happily wash Bogart’s & Bacall’s clothes) if not I saw one round the corner.I still have clean non smelly stuff but a full wardrobe would be nice.This really hot weather is starting to take its toll…talking of really hot weather just took my second shower of the day and grabbed  what I thought was a sachet of the hotel shampoo for company…have you ever tried showering with a wet wipe?

Turns out the hotel don’t have a laundry service so laundromat it is tomorrow…

As they say in Germany ciao…

Ps So I went out for a few hours but most of the celebrations seemed to be in one of the main squares 
With many side street bars closed.Infact there seemed to be a livelier night going on by my hotel but it was young folk.As hard as it is I have to accept that at 65 I can’t pull all nighters like I used to and I would just stand out as a sad old fucker trying to mingle with 20 year olds doing so…life eh? 


No comments: