Sunday 6 August 2023

Bilious Blog…around Europe in 80 days#6

I folded like a deckchair…said yesterday I would’nt go for  any more curry for a while  yet last night I went to the Tamil restaurant near the hotel and it was superb.I think I just needed to prove to myself that the French can do a decent curry and they did.Even jumped their booking system as I was on my own and they had a spare table.See,it pays to be a friendless twa…sorry,a lone traveller,sometimes…

I just wasn’t quick enough to grab a great pic on the Paris metro the other day.As we came into Pigalle there was a fella on the platform wearing a Superman top pushing two cats in a double decker baby stroller.As soon as I saw him I could hear the bad puns mounting up in my head.It would have been a great pic but I was too slow and he got on another carriage.I was hopeful he’d be getting off at my stop but sadly not.The world missed out on some top dad jokes…

Leaving Strasbourg today and heading to Munich,got a couple of changes which is not ideal but hey ho them’s the breaks…if you’ve never visited Strasbourg I can recommend it.For one thing it’s beautiful in parts,some outstanding medieval architecture which makes it very photogenic.The vibe seems cool,very chilled & relaxed and there are loads of cafe bars for food & a good bevvy.It’s not cheap,I’d say probably close to London prices but it’s worth checking out…

I tried my debit card in the atm and it worked fine so I suppose it was just a hitch up in their tram ticket machinery.I presume it’s the same with the credit card but I’m unlikely to use that(hopefully) I did learn to stay calm in these situations as there’s probably a logical explanation..,

Last time in France for a few weeks. I’m in Lyon at the end of August then Lille at the end of this trip…many Brits constantly slag off the French for being rude & arrogant and in my,albeit limited,time here I have found every local I have met both here & in Paris to be anything but that.They have a rep for being unhelpful with the language and again I have found the complete opposite.My French skills are basic at best but I have tried and have also asked how to pronounce certain things and also been helped and naturally forgotten what I’ve been told instantly! 

So maybe the problem isn’t the French…if you’re constantly slagging off a nation of people for being rude & arrogant the possibility exists that it ain’t them,it’s you…

I have noticed the French aren’t as glued to their phones as much as us.Yes they’re on them a lot but seemingly only once they’re sat down rather than whilst on the move bumping into street furniture,walking into traffic,falling off cliffs etc…

Finally one of my changes today is at Karlsruhe who are playing Hamburg FC at home.The HSV fans have something of a reputation for being robustly right wing and on occasions a bit naughty.I don’t know if our paths will cross or not but I’m on my guard…

Until tomorrow peeps…

No comments: