Wednesday 30 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#31

I am pretty damn sure I’m staying in a ghost hotel…not in The Specials social  commentary about the ills of Thatcher’s Britain kind of way but literally.I have been here three days and the only soul I have seen is the Italian fella I helped to get the key for on the first day.Not seen him since,or any staff either,nor any evidence of such.Reception? Closed.Restaurant? Closed.Other guests? Nope…in years to come I will meet a Stuttgartian( ? I don’t know) mention I visited and where I stayed and they will turn ashen faced and say “ that building was demolished forty years ago after the grisly murders there”I’m telling you it’s true…

Tomorrow I’m off to Nuremberg for a few days.It’s only about three hours from here with no changes so not anticipating any big dramas on the train.Famous last words and all that but have given myself enough time as usual Incase of fuck ups by me or Deutsche Bahn.But before that I have to do something that’s new to me and seek medical help first.Don’t worry it’s nothing too bad,it’s these bloody mosquitos bites! Both my legs and arms are getting hammered and burning up with them and I will visit an Apotheke prior to my trip for some antihistamine cream or tablets.It will be a totally new experience…

Been to Nuremberg before.It was on my first solo trip to Germany in 2016( seven years ago.Blimey) and I liked it but feel I will get more out of the place now I have more confidence being solo in mainland Europe.A bit of of self doubt held me back at that time.I still suffer from it occasionally but it’s improving daily…

Very nearly wore a Wolves top today to celebrate our 5-0 trouncing of Blackpool last night then suddenly remembered that we bought Sasa kalajdzic from VfB Stuttgart and wasn’t sure how the locals would react…oddly for a big football city not seen much evidence of the local team’s shirts being worn around.Usually you see a sprinkling but can’t remember seeing not a one…

I am finally getting used to the “German stare” I have probably mentioned this in previous blogs but Incase you don’t know the German’s tend to hold a gaze on you a split second  more than us Brits are comfortable with.At first I thought they either wanted to fight me or fuck me.The former might be true in some cases but the latter most certainly is not.Anyway I have learned to ignore it as best I can…

Even though I have been up town a bit in reality I have spent more time in the bar two doors away from the ghost hotel.It’s a cool place and the people are nice and they do a fine Weißbier too.This isn’t a slight on Stuttgart.It’s fine but sometimes local is best and I feel comfortable here. I’m relaxed and as a certified old bastard that’s fine…just saw an old lady tear a strip off two youngsters for skateboarding down this small hill the bar’s on.She turned to me and looked so I gave her the thumbs up.When she buggered off I gave the kids the thumbs up too.I’m a guest,I’m allowed to play both sides…

Right after my latest pint I’m off to cut my nails down to the quick to minimise the scratching I’ll inevitability do to my legs & arms  during the night…

Until tomorrow…or until I remember something that can’t wait.Ciao…

Ps. Have decided to wait to visit Apotheke until I get to Nuremberg.

2 comments:

That Rigby Bloke said...

Morning owd ghostymon
Annie n I stayed in a out-of-the-way villa a while back in Fuerteventura for a month...the whole area was deserted ..it was the most spooky place we've ever been to (we'd been to Fuerte many times before but not off the beaten track) it was following the Spanish crash and every bugger had,well,buggered off.There were dozens of apartment blocks with glasses and coffee cups adorning tables,swimming pools with towels on sun loungers,apartment doors ajar but not a soul about. There was one bar nearby all boarded up and as we were doing our daily walkabout a bloke came out from said bar and literally begged us to come for supper..he was from Leeds but had married a local lass,they treated us like royalty...serious food and vintage wines you name it...and no bill !! We were the first folk they'd seen for weeks on end. The nearest village was about a mile away and still functioning but as the shopkeeper told us.... " nobody goes up there anymore".... "Why" says I... "It's not wise".....!!!!! Weird,weird,weird !! The couple at the bar became dear holiday friends,we drank the cellar dry...
Your train journeys are facinating...I've never been on a double decker train,sounds brill...as for the mozzies,don't scratch 😁😁😁...
Take care Gareth and keep on keeping on mate

Anonymous said...

We all love an abandoned town though! Yea get on a DD train if you can,they’re brill.Not only the views but they seem a bit more luxurious and you think you ain’t paying enough for the ticket!