Saturday 12 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#12

I scream,you scream,we all scream for ice cream…Linz has an abundance of ice cream shops & kiosks( tobacco shops too) they’re everywhere.I even noticed a few open when I left the bar at 11-30 last night.They must be a sort of post pub Kebab substitutes,maybe they do kebab flavour ice cream…

Yesterday I went to Salzburg,which is where I originally wanted to stay but it was too expensive and I can see why.Tourists as far as the eye can see in the alt stadt…I was trying to work out what all the fuss was about when I left the station,which itself was a disappointing copy & paste modern job,I was expecting something a bit more classical,and walked into just A.N.Other city.Concrete & glass,albeit one with an impressive backdrop of high hills,then I walked into town…it takes a while for the architectural splendour to hit you but once it takes shape it hits home why the city is such a draw…

Anyway I did my usual bits.Kaffee und Kuchen,a few Weißbier,then strolled down to Getreidegasse to see what all the fuss was about…GetreideGasse was where all the trading took place down by the river in days of yore overlooked by the castle high above on hill .It’s easy to imagine a villainous king overseeing the transactions,plotting to extract even more taxes out of his subjects…it’s probably as busy now as it was then albeit with many more tatty souvenir shops…

Had an ice cream,had a curry and placed a lovelock on the bridge as a token to my undying affection for Liz Truss…one of these statements is not true.Oh and I also saw that intensely annoying Mexican family busking too.Have seen them in both Munich & Hannover in recent years…not all busking is good.

After breakfast I am off to Graz.It’s less than two hundred miles as the crow flies but for some reason this crow has to fly east to Vienna then south to Graz in a four and half hour trip…but it is what it is and at least I will see a bit more of Austria…

All in all Linz was good.I may have sounded a little underwhelmed about  it yesterday but that’s not really the case.It’s just not immediately obvious what it’s qualities are but it was a chilled & pleasant three days so alles gut…

Next stop Graz…via Vienna.Lovely.

Laters Peeps…

2 comments:

H said...

Liking the diet of coffee, cake, curry & beer 🍻

Anonymous said...

✨️😊