Thursday 10 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#10

The trip from Munich to Linz was superb.I was on the Vienna train and it was a double decker.This is something we don’t have in Britain.I imagine our bridges are not high enough.I’ve been on a DD before but only for short trips…anyway all good,get to Linz and need the toilet,always keep some coins with you for such things by the way,as I’m leaving there were giggles behind me as I unknowingly trailed a fair amount of toilet paper on my shoe…ah well at least I cheered someone up on this horrible day…

Sometimes you get to a place and think “ah fuck what have I done? Got three days in this shit hole” and truthfully that was my first impression of Linz.After finding the hotel,checking  in etc had a look around and couldn’t find anything,and I mean no bars really.Walked for what seemed hours in the poring rain and it was desolate.Stopped for a smoke under cover and noticed I was outside a Kaffee und Kuchen shop(I know,what a surprise eh?) they were pretty empty and closing shortly.I had a lovely bit of cake and quite possibly the best coffee I have ever tasted and eventually got chatting to a lady there…blah blah blah.As I was leaving she gave me an umbrella( now I don’t usually do umbrellas) and she said take this and bring it back tomorrow…I was a bit blown away (not by the brolly.Boom boom) at her act of kindness.No need to be this kind to a stranger.Anyway I’m going back today with the brolly and of course some great cake and dammed fine coffee… 

So maybe my first impression was off.This random act of kindness lifted my spirits.Found a bar in the main square.Which is actually huge but very oblong rather than a square.Think it would look fantastic when the sun’s out,the forecast looks good,..had some flirting action with the barmaid.I get it,she’s on the clock and a bit of flirting with a silly old man might help the tips.I used to flirt with the elderly ladies I served when I was a waiter for the same reason.We all knew the score and everyone was happy…

Forgot to mention on my last night in Munich I was at a bar( it’s gonna be a common theme the next few months) sitting outside but after a couple of drinks I realised I was smoking too much and moved inside.I know,Mr Sensible here,trouble is the barman who served me didn’t realise and when I saw him frantically looking from table to table outside I knew he’d thought I’d done a runner.Eventually we sorted it out.That’s the one drawback with the tab system…the thing is if you walk away without paying it’s not the bar you’re ripping off it’s the staff serving you.They pay a fee to the bar and all else is theirs.That’s why the fella was so frantic…if the bar lost €10 who cares right?  But if a working person loses hard earned money because you did a runner? That’s a whole different ball game.So don’t do it boys and girls( I’m sure my lovely readers would never think of ripping off a fellow worker)

See ya later…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

😁