Sunday 20 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#21

My legs have been bitten to buggery and I know who to blame.It’s not the mosquitoes,they’re just minions,pawns in the game,it’s that bloody apex backpack woman! Those weren’t bites on her legs,they were feeding stations for her equivalent of the wicked witches’ winged monkies…”fly my pretties and get that bastard that wrote nasty things” it’s the only explanation.Luckily I had the foresight to pack some Savlon anti septic cream along with the brown sauce and tins of beans…

It’s yet another “ phew what a scorcher” day.Probably every day now since the biblical downpour in Linz in what seems months ago but is really only eleven days.Still that’s normally enough to initiate drought procedures in the UK along with dire warnings of heavy prison sentences if you don’t drink your own urine to save water along with  lots of tired blitz spirit analogies…mind you even the locals are starting to look frazzled so this is a bit unusual…

Got the local transport app on the phone and unlike the Verona one it’s validated as soon as the money comes out the bank.No messing about with truculent drivers who can’t be arsed and don’t care if you end up in some sort of Shawshank Redemption situation…€4-50 for a mostly all singing,all dancing,bells & whistles 24 hour ticket.Pretty damn good…
 
So got the bus and went up the hill,after some friendly joshing from the  fella in the cafe at the bus station,wasn’t sure how high we’d gone as it didn’t seem too much of a climb but saw another cafe,got off and looked at the view.Mama Mia! As I’m sure I’m not allowed to say,what a scene and I was probably only two thirds of the way up.Fantastic panorama of the blocks of flats hugging the hills and also of city & port…of course went into the cafe,got more gentle ribbing but at €1-20 for a huge Americano they could pull my pants down,point and laugh…wearing a Wolves top and got a “Ah Wolverhampton “ from the fella too…

Walked back down via very steep stairs past the Funicular,which I will take before I go…and back to earth eventually.God I was sweating up a storm and will need another laundry day very soon( or some new t-shirts) Little hint,if it’s crazy hot like it is now and you’re down by Genoa port go sit under the huge flyover,it’s shaded naturally but you also get a decent sea breeze too.I spent half hour there…got another bus into the centre of town,had a few drinks and some Argentinian food.Genoa & Argentina have very close ties… 

Now I’m at a little bar I was in yesterday where at first the woman was a bit arsey with me but we’re firm buddies now.A common moaning about the weather can cement such international ties…

I think tomorrow I will get the train down the coast to La Spezia.It’s supposed to be a spectacular journey and a nice little town.I can also use my Interrail so all’s good…
 
Bye for now from sweaty sweaty Genoa…


2 comments:

That Rigby Bloke said...

Morning owd bitten to buggery mon
Is weather chat confined to us Brit types ?? I’m not sure but it is a go-to when all else fails I think.. whilst in the old Yugoslavia we had stopped at a mountain range village (It was one of the countries that fascinated me…dull grey nothingness for mile after mile then beautiful scenery) there wasn’t really anything else there except lovely views,shops with nothing in them and the customary bar…Millwall bloke had latched onto us by then and there were 4 of us…we were to be there for 3 days !!
I tried the ‘chat up the barmaid’ routine …I failed until the weather chat kicked in, it was April and still bloody freezing, I commented about “ I bet you’ll be pleased when it gets warmer” …wrong !! Apparently it only got slightly above bloomin freezing for 2 months due to said mountain range region…I felt a right pillock when all I received was the shrug of the shoulders and probably a few expletives. However, my 3 travelling companions went for a wander to find our ‘hotel’ leaving me with our assortment of ragbag rucksacks ..barmaid returned with a tray laden with hot chocolate and a caraf of strong smelling liquid, her shift had finished and she sat down with me…the said carafe was akin to rocket fuel…think WD40 and you’re there…I never saw our ‘hotel’ as my 3 days were spent with her in her mountain side shack-cum-shed…the other 3 were not massively impressed with my absence but I was a single mon back then and they were the best 3 days of our month in Yugo …I gave her my red brigade Joe Strummer tshirt (massively regretted that later as I never did replace it)
… so Brit weather chat and tshirts can be a winner mate !!!!
Keep on with the fun Gareth and def keep on with the blog if only to jolt my travelling memories 😂
Good on ya mate
Nige

Anonymous said...

Naughty boy!