Sunday 13 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#13

Funny how things work out…got the train from Linz to Vienna Meidling and I joked on twitter that it’s probably Vienna Parkway and it basically was.Nothing there except a station really.Had a bit of time to kill so learnt how to use my card in the vending machine( these things take time for someone who last used a vending machine in the 80’s) I had thought the train to Graz would be fairly empty for some reason but “wah wah” it was rammed!

Ended up standing by the big window next to the restaurant and just assumed this would be it for the next almost three hours but next stop a couple of people who’d been sitting in the restaurant bit got off so I pounced.I have never actually eaten in a train restaurant car before so got some grub and a pint(in a real glass!) and chilled.The scenery was nice.Some rolling hills,a fair few vineyards etc then we started climbing and winding around the hills and it’s probably the most scenic train ride I’ve ever been on.I took some pics on my phone but they didn’t really do it justice so I deleted most…it actually looked like a Model railway at times winding around verdant hills interspersed with the odd granite outcrop…so that all cheered me up no end…

Got to Graz,went and had a smoke then found the WC( again always carry change.Austrian ones are a bit cheaper than German) and saw a sign on a box asking people to dispose of their needles in the proper manner.Sort of saying “we know it happens,we can’t stop it but at least tidy up your works” I thought that was pretty cool and immediately make me like the place…

After checking in went and found a bar close by.Lovely young lad served me and clued me up a bit about Graz and told me how to pronounce it properly.He was Italian from the South Tyrol Region and said he spoke Italian to his mom,German to his dad and Russian to his girlfriend (plus English to me) Meanwhile I have learned to say “Hello,how are you? One beer please” in German so I think we’re about even…

Graz looks great.I hadn’t done any research on it so hadn’t a clue what to expect but it seems to be a cool place with good people.I’d say there’s more of an edge than Linz but not much.Like most Austrian cities it appears to be quite well off with plenty of people out eating & drinking and some expensive stuff in the shop windows.I even got help using the cigarette machine.As it’s been about forty five years since the last one I used I thought I’d try it.Couldn’t work it out but a young lad came and helped me.People are so kind helping you to continue your disgusting habit…

Shame I’m only here till tomorrow when I got to Italy on a long train journey which might be more spectacular than yesterday’s .I will definitely mark down Graz as a place to return to at some stage…

See ya…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

😊