Sunday 27 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#27

Oh my head…I haven’t suffered any hangovers so far except for today…

Finally got into Freiburg and what a beautiful city it is.A kind of Disney idea of what a medieval town looks like,you know,less bubonic plague and more McDonald’s…that sounds like a gripe but it’s not,can’t really expect Freiburg im Breisgau (to give the proper name) to lay on a bit of Black Death just to cater to my whims of medieval authenticity…besides it’s not a theme park but a living breathing city that just happens to look like the locals are about to banish the evil tyrant king and burst into song at any given moment…

After doing the usual pics/coffee/pics/coffee thing it was time for a bevvy.This was maybe 1pm and I sat down in what I thought was a small place but turned out to me massive when I went to the toilets downstairs…Many German bars have toilets upstairs or downstairs that entail opening Google Maps to find.They’re like Uber Wetherspoons but with better beer and better owners…mixed with the countless tourists milling around were fans of both SC Freiburg and Werder Bremen who were playing each other.There didn’t appear to be much of a police presence and it was all very peaceful…

I was just about to pay up and bugger off when the place suddenly filled up and they put the game on so of course I stayed to watch and was joined at my table by a fella named Roman who was about my age and a SC Freiburg fan…

Now this was a normal Saturday round of games like we have in the UK and we are constantly told they can’t show the games live as that would drastically reduce the amount of fans willing to go to games.The stadium was full,Roman couldn’t get a ticket as I guess many in the bar couldn’t either.Even more impressive was the Bremen fans had sold out their allocated tickets and that’s a round trip of about 1,400 km.I assume the match feed was also available in Bremen.They may have wished they’d stayed home as they lost 1-0 to a 95th minute goal.Football can be cruel sometimes…meanwhile Wolves won 1-0 at Everton with a late goal so myself & Roman stayed for several more drinks late into the night…

Anyway I woke up in a ditch…no I didn’t,I’m only joking…but I did miss my stop on the tram,managed to find my way back to the hotel,spent about 5 minutes trying to pin in the pass code to my room and woke up about 4am fully clothed on the bed…and people ask why we drink ?  

So all in all turned out a good day and I’m fully awake now.Just popped out for a smoke and noticed the car park is full and it would appear I’m the only poor sap without a car…no real plans today,it’s sunday and we all know that means the place is on shutdown except for the important things like cafe bars and trams to take you to them…the weather is a bit bleugh too….I’m just regretting I didn’t bring any Paracetamol…

Until tomorrow boys & girls..,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely those highly efficient Germans have a hangover cure pill in their Chemiker? Rumour is they like a beer….

Anonymous said...

They may well do but it’s Sunday and nowhere is open except more bars…so hair of the dog it is…