Friday 18 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80days#19

So I did all the correct modern things this morning.Downloaded the Verona transport app onto my phone.Very easy job,Then bought a day ticket,again a piece of piss but it had to be validated once you get on the bus…ok no problem.Decided to walk to the station because I wasn’t sure which bus went where but there’s a huge bus depot at Verona station.Sorted out which bus I needed into town.Bus came,got on with the aim to validate and the driver just waived me on so spent the next fifteen minutes wondering what Italian jails are like and if the food’s ok…luckily nothing bad happened so just thought I’d sort it out later…

Because I was a wee bit disoriented I missed the oldie building part of town and ended up in a pretty posh part of Verona,found a nice cafe and spent an hour with two very reasonably priced coffees watching the world go past.You could tell it was a rich area cos’ well heeled ladies of a certain age were constantly walking past wearing expensive sunglasses and even more  well heeled women of an older certain age were walking their small dogs,and all the local shops didn’t open till long past 10am…it was all cool though.

Walked into the historic part of town,took a few pics of buildings older than the bible,had a coffee or two, took a few more pics etc then decided to shadow a bored looking tour group I’d seen a few times wandering around…now I know I have done my fair share of tourist bashing and I see the hypocrisy in what I’m saying.I’m a tourist just like them so stop being so judgmental.Fair comment…

This group of about thirty five souls were being hearded around by the most bored looking guide I’d ever seen.He barely said a word and in the five minutes I shadowed them he spent two of them on his phone.So literally phoning it in… I get it that if you have a guide who’s engaging,Interesting and above all witty then these things can be fun,also maybe twenty is an ideal upper limit on numbers.But unfortunately many of these things are taken as red and the guides don’t care.Hopefully his reviews will reflect that…

Ah well,did a bit more sightseeing and coffee drinking then went for drinkies and did the Brit thing of doing four hours in the bar easily.I’d done as much touristy stuff as I’d wanted and it was too dammed hot to be traipsing around looking pissed off…Did my bit for my country and luckily my bus stop was outside the bar,got on the bus tried to validate the ticket I’d bought Nine hours earlier and again got waved away by the driver…ok court of human rights it is then… 

Now in the bar I was in last night chatting to the barman( a common theme) and thinking Verona is ok after all…Italy is ok after all and I can see why many love coming here…

Because I have worked with many people from overseas I take an interest in where people are from and how they got where they are.There’s no racist agenda,i was in a job that many Brits didn’t do so many of the staff were foreign and I was interested.The chap in this bar is clearly of Asian origin so I naturally asked him and he immediately said “ been here since I was nine,I’m Italian” I explained to him why I asked as he was clearly defensive having probably been asked this a few times with a less innocent agenda.Anyway he’s Sri Lanka by birth and hates cricket.So there…

Anyway.Genoa tomorrow for three days.The Interrail app says I need to reserve tickets to both Milan((where I change) and from there to Genoa but I think I’m gonna wing it and see what happens…they can either kick me off or make me pay.Or I find out about ltalian jails…

Yikes.Until tomorrow you sexy beasts…

No comments: