Monday 7 August 2023

Bilious Blog…around Europe in 80 days#7

Ablutophobia; A fear of bathing.I couldn’t find the technical term for fear of showers.I don’t mean the Hitchcock mother fixated whacko who ruined a perfectly good set of shower curtains and covered the tiles in black & white cinema noir blood.No I’m talking hotel showers.Ones you will only ever see once for three days and only ever manage to get luke warm in a “fuck it that’ll do” because it’s either cold enough to make a polar bear wince or hot enough to get the devil seriously considering installing air conditioning…if by some miracle you get it just right you know damn well the chambermaid will reset it all when she wipes away your suds & stray hair…

Anyway I have bought the shitty weather with me to Germany.Yesterday was lovely in Strasbourg but slowly the clouds rolled in and dumped all over us and the rain followed me here.When I was wondering what to pack I figured I wouldn’t need a jacket as it’s gonna be warm and on the rare occasions it rains I’ll pop in a bar.I have popped in a lot of bars…

Oddly didn’t get my ticket checked once on my way from Strasbourg to Munich despite using three different trains.That’s most un German,they’re usually pretty shit hot  at that sort of thing.Not that it matters as I have a ticket anyway so I’m good but I want it looked over occasionally to justify the cost! 

One good thing about the Interrail ticket on the phone is I can alter my plans Willy Nilly..Yes you can do that with paper but once you’ve written it down you’re locked in.I noticed both my connections at Offenburg & Karlsruhe we’re just a couple of minutes apart and got earlier trains to both to save any angst by rushing about like a builder after a Builders Breakfast  ( two cans of 8% Polish lager,four Red Bulls & six Pall Mall tabs) Those who know me know I hate being rushed…

But Munich eh? Well I had a stand up row with a bloke about my snoring in a hostel the last time I was here and it soured my whole time in Munich.Now I get it,I snore badly and it’s a pain but fuck me man you’re paying a fiver a night for you and your missus so suck it up…turns out they complained to the management about me and got an upgrade to a room at no extra cost.So you’re welcome Mr Cheap…I will not do hostels again.Happy to pay the extra for a peaceful life…so Munich I’m in a better frame of mind so let’s see what you got…

…and at the moment what you got is the Löwenbräukeller and it’s pretty damn good.Löwebräu bier is looked down on in the UK as being low quality fare but that’s far from the truth.Oh and we don’t even pronounce it properly…

After a few in there and a chat with a bloke who was in the process of forming his own political party(!?!?!) I went back to the hotel but noticed an interesting building over the road so went and had a look.The way in was hard to find and the young barman having a smoke break helped me out.It’s called Kunstlabor (no sniggering at the back) and it seems like a cool place.So it looks like I have a base…

The fella doing the nightshift here at the reception & bar is Portuguese so there’s only one way that conversation went last night.He will be an expert on Wolverhampton Fucking Wanderers by the time I leave…

Laters all…





No comments: