Friday 4 August 2023

Bilious Blog…around Europe in 80 days#4

Just noticed I published yesterday’s blog twice.To be honest even though I have doing this for years much of it is still trial and error.Clearly I am forgetting what I learn pretty quickly!

Breakfast done,said “au revoir” to my chum at the counter and she said “goodbye” so hands across the water and all that stuff…how quickly us humans fall into daily routines.I have seen the same people at the same tables at the same time for the last three days,including myself of course…I can also tell who’s never worked in catering as they’re the ones holding their tray like it’s an unexploded bomb with a few minutes on the clock…

The Hotel’s been fine.All you can ask for in a budget place really.It’s a fair size.I’m in room 160 and there’s plenty more after that.Many of the punters are French.I suppose that makes sense.Much like any capital city many of the citizens who live outside profess to hate their own capital,you hear the same complaints.It’s dirty,it’s dangerous,it’s expensive,it’s too loud,the people are arrogant & unfriendly etc.We get the same said about London constantly and yet many of those people also love to visit…

Yesterday was good.Stumbled upon the shrine to Princess Diane above the tunnel where she died.Had totally forgotten about that event.There’s still some flowers being laid there.Then I went to the Eiffel Tower just to have a look…interesting to see all the scammers outside it.The find the ball people were there of course with quite a crowd,only half of whom were part of the gang,I didn’t take any pics as at my advanced age I can’t outrun half a dozen dodgy scammers…there was the tie a lucky bit of coloured string round your wrist scam.I think they tell you it’s free then demand money with menaces once it’s on…there was also lots of tower tat being sold on blankets on the ground which I don’t think is a scam but I also doubt the French authorities are getting anything back…

A few drinks in a small bar later,barman was telling me about living in London (Northholt.) then a hassled bloke stood next to me,a Brit,trying find a decent brandy to drink.As a fellow Brit I helped out and it turned out he’d been delivering stuff in Paris,was late and couldn’t be bothered going back home that night.From the phone convo he had with his missus I’m guessing this wasn’t the first time this had happened..then an American voice pops up from the corner saying something about Brits in the bar and we ended up having a spirited conversation about Dickens,Rumpole of the Bailey and Alec Guinness ( she nearly freaked when I told her we shared the same birthday) but I pointed her towards Kind Hearts and Coronets which was very good of me I thought…turns out she was a professor from California in Paris for a few months learning French…I’ll quite happily talk shit with random strangers for hours in bars.

Then I went for a very disappointing curry.The lest said about that the better…

Right then all I am off to Strasbourg soon.Paris has been great and I’ll definitely pay it another visit for more than three days at some point…

Laters all…

1 comment:

brother said...

good as usual enjoy