Monday 28 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#28

I scrapped the original I wrote of this as it was a bit downbeat.I mentioned in it that my hair was going grey and it didn’t bother me but then as I was writing I began to get a bit reflective so maybe it did affect me a bit…daft really as my beard has been mostly grey since I have had it and that really hasn’t worried me but then beards do seem to have their own rules when it comes to hair colour…

It’s pretty early here,5-40am,and just made the mistake of having a vending machine coffee.What a foul wretched substance but a great laxative.Really if you have one just flush it right down the toilet and cut out the middle man…

Today I’m on my way to Stuttgart,a place I have never been to.I understand it to be quite a modern looking city,certainly compared to Freiburg,so it’s gonna be interesting to see the difference.It’s pretty close but I still have to change at Karlsruhe which I’m pretty sure I have changed at earlier in the trip…I have sort of doubled back on myself but after Stuttgart I head east…

Anyway Freiburg is great,well worth a visit,I’m sure there’s much more to it than the Disneyesque medieval city centre…it is certainly quite affluent but seems to be a fairly left leaning place too…to my mind it has a different rhythm than many German cities I’ve visited.That might be because it’s isolated down in the south west with the Black Forest shielding one side and the other side overlooking France & Switzerland.Or maybe I’m just talking bollocks…

I love it’s extensive tram system too.All cities should have trams,they look great,move people effectively and generally add a bit of class to a city…I’d like to see Wolverhampton’s tram expanded to take in the rest of the city and suburbs but that probably won’t be in my lifetime…

To offset the grey hair I do appear to have lost a bit of weight around the stomach.I’d like to think that’s due to doing a lot more walking than usual but it could be just the immediate affect of the vending machine coffee…however weight can be put  back on but grey hair will never go back to the lush flowing locks of,er,brown I had before unless I want to dye it in a tacky Mafiosi boss kinda way…

It’s weird that I haven’t seen much of the famous Black Forest whilst here,ironically I will probably get to see most of it on the train travelling away from Freiburg…oh and no more dreaded seat reservations for a bit either.I know you have to reserve seats travelling through Czechia but that’s how they normally do things rather than a rip off the mug  punter tourist type situation and theirs are just a couple of euros…

Anyway lads and lasses I can recommend Freiburg im Breisgau to visit for a bit.It’s a good city but don’t get an out of town hotel unless you’re driving…

See you all tomorrow…

Ps After all that messing about & fretting being so far out of town it turns out there was a bus stop over the road I couldn’t see as it was hidden and got a bus to the tram that took two minutes this morning! Duh!!!!!

1 comment:

Asha said...

Just a thought that passed through my head a couple of times.,and that is how hard travelling can be on a body.
Sorry if I sound like your Nan but try to eat your normal quota every day..and if not what about multivitamins?
You don’t want to be burdened a single day with a pesky cold etc .
It all sounds so interesting though.