Monday 14 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#15

Trip was good.Been very lucky so far.No foul ups.Part of the reason I’m habitually early is if things do mess up there’s time to put it right or find an alternative…don’t think the bus replacement from Graz to Klagenfurt was really such a thing.It was far too organised and the double decker coach far too classy.Must have just been a regular service…train to Udine in Italy was great too.Funny I’ve got so used to German & Austrian trains being deathly quiet( you dare not make a sound!) to suddenly be confronted with loads of Italians being,well,Italian,was a shock…

Got tapped up for a smoke outside Udine station and could hear some German tourists having a bit of a bitch about it.Not sure if they were bitching about the girl asking for a smoke or me handing her one( was gonna say  “Giving her one” but this is a family show)I love the German Volk but sometimes they can be a bit busy…

The train to Trieste was practically empty.For four stops I was the only one in my carriage.It stopped at places where they wish it was a one horse town…saw three lads get chucked off for not having the right ticket.They looked confused on the platform of one such station.Like John Inman had suddenly pitched up on the set of The Good The Bad And The Ugly…

I’m staying in a real hotel! A hotel where they put your key behind the counter when you go out.A hotel where they look at you with total disdain obviously thinking “Sweet Jesus we used to get Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall and now we get this” a hotel with a b-day in the bathroom.I love it…and now I’m having a beer…

There’s a woman on the table opposite with her husband,a much younger man probably my age,she’s what used to be described as a “Fading beauty “ a bit like my hotel.She is magnificently old school Italian.Dressed up to the nines,smoking and talking like a champion,with matriarchal nails that could rip you to pieces in seconds.Her eyes still sparkle.I bet she used to hang out with Bogart & Bacall…

Not sure if I want to find a bar showing Man Utd v Wolves.There will be one as some still care about Man Utd no matter where you are in the world irrespective of who they’re playing.Part of me wants to but part of me doesn’t want to be surrounded by plastic Mancs…I doubt there would be any Wolves fans in there.I’m not really sure what the football situation is in this part of Italy as it’s so isolated from the rest of the country.Maybe I should do it as a social experiment…

Anyway looking at the weather forecast for Trieste this week and today is the coldest day at a chilly 30c…blimey.I have tried to slow down the last few years as I used to dash around like a puppy on crack and sweat up a storm but now I tend to amble like an old Labrador on barbiturates…less sweatiness all round,and less mood swings…

Arrivedeci boys & girls…for now.

Ps Never did get to watch the game.The reason for which I will explain tomorrow…

No comments: