Tuesday 29 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#30

It’s the beard man I tell you.Four times I’ve been asked directions.All I need is a pipe and I will be the Oracle that knows nothing.By the way the German for “ I don’t have a Scooby” is “ Ich habe keinen Scooby”

Stuttgart’s ok,..usually we have pre conceived ideas about a place before we visit.For instance Freiburg was pretty much exactly what I expected.Stuttgart not so much…the look of it is slightly different for a start.I was expecting lots of ultra modern glass fronted buildings and while there’s a bit of that there’s also the more traditional type of German stuff knocking about too.It’s a nice mixture…their U-Bahn is probably the best I’ve come across in Germany.Very easy to negotiate.If you get lost on it you’re either extremely stupid or extremely drunk…

It’s the first place I have been to on this trip that’s not really a touristy place,yes there are tourists but not many,just a few lost souls who came here by mistake.But there is a world renowned technology research university so they’re used to foreign guests being here…the one thing I have noticed is the lack of Polizei sirens.Been here over a day and probably only heard one.In Berlin for instance the distinctive sound is almost an urban symphony played on a loop.Yet I’ve seen plenty of Polizei cars and also plenty in the U-Bahn so maybe they just do things differently…

Currently having a drink outside the bar that didn’t open on monday by my hotel( not holding out much hope for the Indian restaurant up the road) very nice people,just got a cheery “ Guten Tag” from a little old lady as she walked past.In the great scheme of things it doesn’t mean much but it’s nice…

Had to eventually bite the bullet and buy a rain coat from Primark( huge shop in Stuttgart!) It’s been raining on and off in this part of Germany for a good few days now and even got a bit cold since I constantly banged on about the hot weather…hopefully it’s waterproof (as it claims) or maybe hopefully I won’t find out.To be honest as I’m up in Norway & Sweden in October I would probably need something anyway.Just wanted to reduce the luggage.It wasn’t too expensive anyway,about £24…

May pop back into town later to see what’s what.Luckily I’m not as far out as I thought and the U-Bahn is just down the hill.Stuttgart is surprisingly hilly in places too…anyway the rain’s stopped too so alles gut…

Laters peeps…

Ps Never did get back into town after all,had a few more pints & a bite to eat and crashed for a few hours.Checked the result and a lovely 5-0 win.Now I know it was only against lower league opponents and we shouldn’t make too much of it but we’re definitely winning the treble…

No comments: