Wednesday 9 August 2023

Bilious Blog…Around Europe in 80 days#9

Englische Garten is huge.I believe it’s the largest urban green space in Europe and to get round properly you really need to be on a bike.I was on foot and so it was easy to be tempted back to the mean streets for Kaffee und Kuchen (It’s a German thing) At the start of the park the River Eisbach emerges from a culvert in a swirling torrent and is good for surfing.I first saw this in 2016 when I came upon it by accident and there was hardly anyone watching but.yesterday it was hard to get close to get decent pictures as there was quite the crowd…I don’t want to get all “yea I first saw them a decade ago in the back room of The Broken Arms in front of twelve people” hipster about it…but I do really.

In the Kaffee & Kuchen shop i asked in German as I always try to do but what normally happens is owing to my ludicrously comical “Allo Allo” accent they twig straight  away I’m a Brit and talk English to me.Yesterday the young lady continued to speak German and that’s where it falls away cos’ all I can do is nod my head and utter “hmmm hmmm ja” at whatever is being said . ..it’s possible that I sounded like a native that time but it’s equally possible a)she couldn’t speak English ( doubtful,she was young and it’s a given ) b) she was having a shitty day and couldn’t be bothered talking to me in English…for all I know I could have been agreeing to try their new fish head soup with extra eyeballs…

The sun was out and the shorts were on and that only means one thing…wasps! They have clearly been waiting all the while during the bad weather.Waiting,watching,plotting…they seem to be particularly interested in me when I sit down to drink beer.Maybe I secrete a substance that attracts them like catnip…wasps must think humans are weird cos’ all they see us do is wave our hands in front of our faces whilst snapping  our heads back  and swearing a lot…

So Munich was great and it’s gone up in my estimation.I still wouldn’t do Oktoberfest here as that’s my idea of hell but ho hum…today I’m off to Linz in Austria…not my first choice as that was Salzburg but for whatever reason their hotel prices were too high and Linz was close & relatively cheap.I don’t know much about the place but it could end up being a nice surprise and also Linz sounds like something you clean your kitchen floor with…

Not been to Austria since I was a young teenager and I went to The Tyrol with my mum & sister and then with just my mum.I always remember it being particularly pristine & beautiful.That was my first time out of the country and it left an impression.Maybe that’s why I have an affection for many things Teutonic…

It’s a short one today I’m afraid as I have to get a wriggle on…

Laters alligators…

PS I won’t be discussing Wolves on here so don’t worry…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

💫🙂